Oncology in Munich: Prof. Dr Dr Fuat S. Oduncu
- Interdisciplinary and individual treatment of all types of cancer
- Tumour therapy using state-of-the-art procedures (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy, antibody therapy, targeted therapy, personalised oncology)
- Palliative medicine
- Malignant haematology (e.g., blood cancer (leukaemia), bone marrow cancer)
- Benign haematology (e.g., anaemia)
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Comprehensive diagnostics: imaging (CT, MRI, PET/CT), endoscopy, histology on the basis of biopsies obtained during endoscopy, CT or guided ultrasound, surgical excision, bone marrow puncture
- Detailed laboratory tests
- Molecular pathology
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Individual cancer therapy by means of an interdisciplinary approach (weekly tumour boards for individual treatment planning)
- Treatment of all cancers: e.g., gynaecological tumours (breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, vaginal cancer), gastrointestinal tumours (bowel cancer, stomach cancer, oesophageal cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer), lung tumours, urological tumours (prostate cancer, testicular cancer, cancer of the urinary bladder, cancer of the ureter, kidney cancer), endocrine tumours (thyroid cancer), bone cancer, cancer of the soft tissue, head and neck cancer, CNS tumours (brain tumours, e.g., glioblastoma), skin cancer (malignant melanoma)
- Tumour therapy using state-of-the-art procedures (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy (monoclonal antibody therapy), targeted therapies (tyrosine kinase inhibitors, angiogenesis inhibitors, proteasome inhibitors...), immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, antihormonal therapies, antiresorptive therapies, drugs that stimulate blood formation.
- Participation in national and international treatment trials
- Care of complications experienced while undergoing tumour therapy (e.g., fever, infections, pneumonitis, adjustment of pain therapy, nausea, coprostasis, diarrhoea, mucositis while undergoing radiotherapy...)
- Interdisciplinary pain therapy
- Control of symptoms (e.g., anxiety, restlessness, shortness of breath, nausea, loss of appetite)
- Physiotherapy treatments (e.g., relaxation techniques, pain-relieving massages, physiotherapy exercises)
- Mediation of outpatient hospice assistants
- Psycho-oncological and pastoral support
- Anaemia (e.g., iron deficiency anaemia, vitamin B12 deficiency anaemia, folic acid deficiency anaemia, renal anaemia, aplastic anaemia, haemolytic anaemia, such as sickle cell anaemia, thalassaemia, autoimmune haemolytic anaemia, macro- or microangiopathic haemolytic anaemia (HUS), TTP, paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria (PNH))
- Thrombocytopaenia (low platelet count)
- Leukopaenia (white blood cell deficiency)
- Antibody deficiency syndromes (congenital, acquired)
- Acute leukaemia (blood cancer, acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL), acute myeloid leukaemia (AML))
- Malignant lymphomas (cancer of the lymph gland, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Hodgkin's lymphoma)
- Myeloproliferative neoplasia (cancer of the bone marrow, chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML), polycythaemia vera (PV), essential thrombocythaemia (ET), primary myelofibrosis (PMF)
- Myelodysplastic syndromes (cancer of the bone marrow)
- Multiple myeloma/plasma cell myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow)
About Prof. Dr Dr Fuat S. Oduncu, MA, EMB, MBA
Prof. Dr Dr Fuat S. Oduncu, MA, EMB, MBA, is a specialist in internal medicine and an expert in oncology, haematology and palliative medicine. He is Chief Physician at the Department of Haematology, Oncology and Palliative Medicine at the Helios Clinic Munich West.
The highly experienced Prof. Oduncu and his team guarantee high-quality treatment for cancer patients at university standards. However, in addition to treating tumours, he places at least equal emphasis on kindness towards others, which is why he is particularly committed to caring for patients with cancer in a holistic and individual manner. The cancer specialist in Munich has been active in the field of cancer research and medical ethics for many years and is regarded as an international expert.
Helios Clinic Munich West – Numerous Medical Specialists Under One Roof
The Helios Clinic Munich West has numerous medical faculties that always work together in an interdisciplinary manner. The clinic has 400 beds and 950 employees. Thanks to an experienced team, state-of-the-art technology and the highest nursing standards, you are guaranteed the best possible care. To ensure optimal care of tumour patients, the Helios Clinic Munich West offers additional groups of professionals alongside the oncologists working under Prof. Oduncu, which, adapted to patients' individual living conditions, support patients based on the nature and course of their disease. The Helios Clinic Munich West also has its own private clinic in which modern, high-performance medicine provided by the oncologist Prof. Oduncu can be combined with first-class service in a feel-good ambience.
Focus on the Patient as a Person
When caring for his patients, Prof. Oduncu always places the utmost value on close contact with the treated individual. The patient as a whole, with all his or her wishes and concerns, is thus top priority. These plans of action are incorporated from the very beginning when developing individualised treatment strategies. Since the hopes and wishes as well as experiences and goals of patients and their relatives can be very different, especially in the context of tumour diseases, Prof. Oduncu attaches great importance to personalised communication. Prof. Oduncu always supports his patients in a comprehensive, holistic and empathetic manner through all phases of their illness.
Oncology – Individual Tumour Therapy by Means of Interdisciplinary Collaboration
Prof. Oduncu and his colleagues treat various tumour diseases on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. Individual treatment plans are developed for each patient during interdisciplinary tumour boards, so as to always apply the best possible therapy for the patient.
The therapeutic procedures are in line with state-of-the-art research. In collaboration with the other specialist disciplines, the oncology department at the Helios Clinic Munich West offers all current therapeutic options for the various tumour diseases. Thanks to constant, intensive research into new therapeutic options for the various tumour diseases and an ever improving understanding of tumour biology, there are now numerous possibilities when it comes to treating cancer. The various specialist departments, such as oncology, internal medicine, surgery, radiotherapy and many more, are involved in the care and in the regular interdisciplinary tumour conferences. The tumour conference and therapies are coordinated by Prof. Oduncu and his team.
In addition to the surgical removal of tumour tissue, these days, we see both chemotherapy and radiation therapy combined with newer methods such as immunotherapy and targeted approaches. For rare or advanced tumours, Prof. Oduncu has access to numerous modern and innovative therapies within the context of scientific studies. This allows patients to receive urgently needed therapies well before they are officially approved in Germany. Since tumour therapies – especially chemotherapy and radiotherapy – often lead to complications (e.g., infections, fever, pain, nausea, inflammation of the mucous membranes, etc.), these, too, are professionally cared for by Prof. Oduncu and his team.
Palliative Medicine – Regain Quality of Life
In the case of incurable diseases or the desire to avoid any further curative therapies, Prof. Oduncu and his colleagues – who have been experienced palliative care doctors for many years – also support patients during this stage of their lives. Patient-centred palliative care can provide patients with valuable support and help them regain quality of life. The goal of palliative medicine can be summarised in a simple sentence: not filling life with hours, but filling one's hours with life.
Palliative care patients often complain about pain, shortness of breath or restlessness and anxiety. Thanks to Prof. Oduncu's many years of experience and interdisciplinary collaboration with doctors from various disciplines, nursing staff, psycho-oncologists, pastoral workers, social services and physiotherapists, his patients can be quickly helped to rapidly improve their quality of life. In addition to patient care, our specialist's experienced team also provides support for relatives. Entrust yourself with confidence into the empathetic hands of our specialist and receive both physical and emotional support.
Haematology – Benign and Malignant Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs
The specialist field of haematology is concerned with benign and malignant diseases of the blood-forming and lymphatic tissue. In the area of benign haematology, our specialist deals with innocuous diseases such as anaemia, thrombocytopaenia (low platelet count), leukopaenia (white blood cell deficiency) or congenital and acquired antibody deficiency syndromes. Patients with anaemia usually complain of fatigue, shortness of breath and low resilience, and are usually very pale. Platelets are crucial for coagulation. A platelet deficiency (thrombocytopaenia) can therefore lead to prolonged or spontaneous bleeding, or internal bleeding in the skin and organs.
The white blood cells (leukocytes) are responsible for one's defence against infections, and so, in the case of a deficiency, patients are at risk of developing severe infections and, at the same time, the course of these infections can be more serious. Malignant haematology covers malignant diseases of the blood-forming and lymphatic system. These include the various forms of leukaemia (blood cancer), lymphoma (cancer of the lymph gland) and bone marrow degeneration (cancer of the bone marrow). Since numerous, often very complex symptoms are seen in this area, our specialist and his team work closely with colleagues from the University of Munich and the CCC Tumour Centre in Munich to ensure the best possible, quality treatment for patients.
|1989||General University Entrance Qualification (Abitur 1.0)|
|1989 – 1995||Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
|1990 – 1995||Scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes)|
|1996||Theodor Fontane Prize from the German National Academic Foundation|
|1996 – 1997||Internship at the Medical Clinic of Innenstadt, Munich University Hospital (KUM)|
|1997||Doctoral degree in medicine at the Medical Faculty of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (magna cum laude)|
|1992 – 1996||Study of philosophy at the SJ School of Philosophy in Munich|
|1996||Magister Artium (MA) at the SJ School of Philosophy in Munich (summa cum laude)|
|1998||Licence to practise medicine|
|1998||Ethics Award from the German General Sunday Paper (Deutsches Allgemeines Sonntagsblatt)|
|2000 – 2002||Fellowship for the degree course of European Masters in Bioethics (EMB) at the Universities of Nijmegen, Madrid, Leuven and Padua (summa cum laude)|
|2001||Walter Brendel Transplant Prize|
|2004||Qualification as a specialist in internal medicine (Bavarian State Medical Council – BLÄK)|
|2005||Vincenz Czerny Prize from the German Society of Haematology and Oncology (DGHO)|
|2005||Habilitation and licence to teach in the field of internal medicine at the Medical Faculty of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
|2005||Qualification as a specialist in haematology and internal oncology (Bavarian State Medical Council – BLÄK)|
|2006||Appointment as Senior Physician of Haematology and Oncology, Medical Clinic IV, Munich University Hospital|
|2007||Doctoral degree in philosophy at the Philosophy Faculty of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (magna cum laude)|
|2007||Appointment as Head of Haematology and Oncology, Medical Clinic IV|
|2008||Qualification to provide further training in haematology and internal oncology|
|2008 – 2011||Best Fellowship for the degree in MBA Health Care at the Munich Business School and Boston University School of Management (graduation with the top mark)|
|2009||Additional qualification in palliative medicine (Bavarian State Medical Council – BLÄK)|
|2009||Additional qualification in haemostaseology (Bavarian State Medical Council – BLÄK)|
|2009||Issuance of a manufacturing licence for autologous stem cells and appointment as a qualified person by the Government of Upper Bavaria|
|2010||Appointment as Chief Quality Management Officer (QMB) of Medical Clinic IV and the Medical Polyclinic of Innenstadt, KUM|
|2011||Certificate in the interdisciplinary course in Quality Management, KUM (top mark: 1.0)|
|2011 – 2014||M4-Award for Personalised Medicine, Top Cluster of the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF)|
|2012||Additional qualification in Medical Quality Management (Bavarian State Medical Council – BLÄK)|
|2013||Appointment as an extraordinary professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
|2014 – 2019||Deputy Chairman of the Board of Trustees at the Christian Development Aid Service Foundation|
|2015 – 2020||President of the Erich Frank Society for the Promotion of German-Turkish Relations in Medicine between Munich and Istanbul|
|2017 – 2020||President of the World Medical Association of Suryoye (WMAS)|
|2017 and 2018||Teaching awards for best lecture and best seminar, LMU Munich|
|2018 – present||Squad of the German national doctors' football team|
|June 2019 – present||Chief Physician at the Department of Haematology, Oncology and Palliative Medicine at the Helios Clinic Munich West (Academic Teaching Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich)|
- German Society of Haematology and Oncology (DGHO)
- German Cancer Society (DKG)
- German Society for Palliative Medicine (DGP)
- Academy of Ethics in Medicine (AEM)
- Ethics Committee of the Bavarian State Medical Council (BLÄK)
- Board member of the European Society for Philosophy of Medicine and Health Care (ESPMH)
German, Aramaic (mother tongue), Turkish, Arabic, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Latin proficiency certificate
- Dr Kathleen Schwarz
Head Senior Physician
- Dr Dietrich Bergemann
Senior Physician and Head of the Palliative Care Unit
- The Helios Clinic Munich West also has its own private clinic, in which the top-quality medicine provided by our specialist Prof. Oduncu can be combined with first-class service in a feel-good ambience.
- Comfortable accommodation in single and double rooms with high-quality fittings (fold-out armchairs for relatives, care products, minibar, telephone with no base fees, flat screen TV, daily newspaper, free Wi-Fi, varied food menu with individual selection possible
- Within the context of palliative care, it is possible for relatives to stay the night in the hospital room, and social counselling, nutritional counselling and music therapy are also offered.
- The clinic's social services will be happy to give you comprehensive advice on issues such as possible rehabilitation measures, applications to register as a severely disabled person, healthcare proxies and advance healthcare directives, etc.
|Munich Central Railway Station||9 km|
|Munich Airport||43 km|
Information About MunichMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
Ruby Hotel Munich - a Lean Luxury Design Hotel - five-star accommodation in the heart of the city at the price of a budget hotel. Small but attractive rooms with excellent features and relaxed design.
The Hilton Munich Park combines elegant design and professional service in a tranquil, leafy setting right next to one of the largest and most natural parks in the world.
Ingolstadt Village, one of nine European Chic Outlet Shopping® villages, is less than an hour from Munich and offers visitors a luxurious outlet shopping experience.
The legendary Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich is located on one of the world’s most famous boulevards, Maximilianstraße. The most exclusive luxury boutiques, galleries and museums as well as the Bavarian State Opera surround this extraordinary hotel.
The sporty, elegant 5-star Hotel St. Wolfgang in Bad Griesbach-Therme is close to the famous three-river city of Passau. Under one roof, this locale charmingly unites a first-class hotel and the Asklepios private clinic with its specialist areas: Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine, Urology, and Plastic/Aesthetic Surgery.
Prof. Dr Dr Fuat S. Oduncu, MA, EMB, MBA
Helios Clinic Munich West
Department of Haematology, Oncology and Palliative Medicine
Steinerweg 5, 81241 Munich, Germany
T: +49 89 8967 4427
F: +49 89 8892 2447
Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 3:00 pm