Information About Prof. Dr Andreas Raabe
- Microsurgical procedures for cerebral tumours in the vicinity of important cerebral areas
- Navigated and monitored cerebral surgery
- Vascular neurosurgery
- Aneurysm counselling
- Aneurysm procedures
- Microsurgical or fully endoscopic procedures for prolapsed discs
- Microsurgical treatment of spinal canal stenosis
Range of diagnostic services
- Up to date pre-operative imaging: all techniques (MRI, CT; Doppler sonography, PET, SPECT, etc.)
- Complex intraoperative neuromonitoring: electrophysiology with monitoring (MEP, SEP, D-wave) and mapping (cortical, subcortical, spinal cord, cranial nerves), as well as awake craniotomy
- Neuronavigation, microscope integration, fibre tracking, fMRI
- Intraoperative microscope-integrated diagnostics: fluorescence marking of tumours (5-ALA), near-infrared ICG fluorescence angiography
- All neurological diagnostic techniques, including EMG, NLG, AEP, MEP, SEP, VEP, EEG, long-term EEG, sleep laboratory, telemetry, epilepsy diagnostics
- Other university special diagnostics
Range of therapeutic services
- The most up to date intraoperative technologies: high-performance surgical microscopes, tumour fluorescence (5-ALA), near-infrared ICG fluorescence angiography, intraoperative DSA, 2 laser systems, 2 intraoperative ultrasound systems, high-end neuronavigation
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques under microsurgically assisted endoscopy and functional computer-aided neurosurgery
- Monitored procedures for tumours such as meningeomata, astrocytomata, insular gliomata, glioblastomata, metastases, tumours of the spinal cord and cavernomata of the brain stem
- Cerebral blood vessel procedures for neurovascular conditions: aneurysms, angiomata, dural fistulas, cavernomata, carotid endarterectomy
- Tumours of the base of the skull: acoustic neuromata, pituitary adenomata, meningiomata of the base of the skull
- Spinal surgery: microsurgical or endoscopic intervertebral disc procedures, microsurgical decompression for spinal canal stenosis, intervertebral disc replacement, spondylolisthesis, spinal stabilisation
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, torticollis, hemifacial spasm, hemiballismus and Tourette’s syndrome
- Trigeminal neuralgia, hemifacial spasm: microvascular decompression, glycerol infiltration, radiosurgery
- Pain therapy: neuromodulation such as spinal cord stimulation, pain pumps, motor cortex stimulation
- Radiosurgery for tumours such as meningiomata, neuromata, glomus tumours, metastases, pituitary tumours and within the context of functionally-orientated treatment concepts
About Prof. Dr Andreas Raabe
Prof. Dr Andreas Raabe is chairman and head at the Department of Neurosurgery of the Inselspital University Hospital Bern. The Departement of Neurosurgery has an international reputation for excellence in the surgical treatment of conditions of the brain and the spinal column. Thanks to its up to date techniques in the diagnostic and surgical field, neurosurgery provides the patient with the highest level of medical treatment. Comprehensive personal care and an excellent standard of nursing quality further guarantee the best possible medical treatment.
Modern neurosurgery means specialisation at the highest level. Under the leadership of the established specialist, Prof. Raabe, the Department of Neurosurgery in Bern is internationally renowned, in particular, in the field of procedures for tumours and aneurysms as well as for minimally invasive spinal surgery.
One particular specialisation of Prof. Raabe consists in navigated, image-guided surgery for cerebral tumours, monitoring the most important cerebral functions (monitoring and mapping of, motor function, sensory function, language, comprehension, vision, neglect and further more), with the objective of completely removing even large and complex tumours in accordance with MRI criteria and without neurological deficits for the patient. The success rate for these procedures is one of the highest worldwide. Neuromonitoring, with its associated high standard of surveillance, is also used in procedures for other complicated tumours, such as acoustic neuromata, tumours of the spinal cord or vascular conditions such as angiomata or cavernomata.
A further emphasis of Prof. Raabe and his specialist team is in the interdisciplinary treatment of cerebral aneurysms, which is performed by endovascular and microsurgery specialists. Particularly in the field of surgical and endovascular conditions, the Inselspital is the centre for the whole of the Suisse Romande.
Spinal surgery at the Department of Neurosurgery of the Inselspital is predominantly performed as minimally invasive surgery. In collaboration with other hospitals, the spectrum here ranges from conservative treatment to microsurgery and prosthetic intervertebral discs, through to stabilisation procedures. The emphases here are microsurgical decompression for spinal canal stenosis and endoscopic as well as microsurgical procedures for prolapsed discs.
In the interdisciplinary Centre for Functional Neurosurgery, the following disorders are treated by means of deep brain stimulation or neuromodulation:
- severe locomotor disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, dystonias and their sub-forms, torticollis, hemifacial spasm and hemiballismus
- psychiatric conditions, such as depression and Tourette’s syndrome
- spastic locomotor disorders
Click here, to go to Prof. Raabe's website.
|1984-1986||Studies in Dental Medicine at the Friedrich Schiller University, Jena|
|1986–1990||Studies in Human Medicine at the Carl-Gustav Carus Medical Academy, Dresden|
|1990||Development assistance in primary medical care in Managua, Nicaragua|
|1990–1996||Training as a specialist in Neurosurgery at Chemnitz Hospital|
|1997||Visiting researcher at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, University of Cambridge, England|
|1997–1999||Specialist at the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Leipzig|
|1999–2008||Senior Consultant and Deputy Clinical Director of the Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main|
|since August 2008||Chairman and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery Inselspital, Bern University Hospital|
- Spinal cerebrospinal fluid leak as the cause of chronic subdural hematomas in nongeriatric patients. Beck J, Gralla J, Fung C, Ulrich CT, Schucht P, Fichtner J, Andereggen L, Gosau M, Hattingen E, Gutbrod K, Z'Graggen WJ, Reinert M, Hüsler J, Ozdoba C, Raabe A. J Neurosurg. 2014 Jul 18:1-8
- Infection rate of emergency bolt-kit vs. non-emergency conventional implanted silver bearing external ventricular drainage catheters. Fichtner J, Jilch A, Stieglitz LH, Beck J, Raabe A, Z' Graggen WJ. 2014 Jul;122:70-6. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2014.04.018.
- Directional deep brain stimulation: an intraoperative double-blind pilot study. Pollo C, Kaelin-Lang A, Oertel MF, Stieglitz L, Taub E, Fuhr P, Lozano AM, Raabe A, Schüpbach M. Brain. 2014 May 19. pii: awu102
- Multidisciplinary Consensus on Assessment of Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms: Proposal of an International Research Group. Etminan N, Beseoglu K, Barrow DL, Bederson J, Brown RD Jr, Connolly ES Jr, Derdeyn CP, Hänggi D, Hasan D, Juvela S, Kasuya H, Kirkpatrick PJ, Knuckey N, Koivisto T, Lanzino G, Lawton MT, Leroux P, McDougall CG, Mee E, Mocco J, Molyneux A, Morgan MK, Mori K, Morita A, Murayama Y, Nagahiro S, Pasqualin A, Raabe A, Raymond J, Rinkel GJ, Rüfenacht D, Seifert V, Spears J, Steiger HJ, Steinmetz H, Torner JC, Vajkoczy P, Wanke I, Wong GK, Wong JH, Macdonald RL. 2014 Mar 25.
- Low-threshold monopolar motor mapping for resection of lesions in motor eloquent areas in children and adolescents. Schucht P, Seidel K, Murek M, Stieglitz LH, Urwyler N, Wiest R, Steinlin M, Leibundgut K, Raabe A, Beck J. J NeurosurgPediatr. 2014 Mar 17.
- Continuous dynamic mapping of the corticospinal tract during surgery of motor eloquent brain tumors: evaluation of a new method. Raabe A, Beck J, Schucht P, Seidel K. J Neurosurg. 2014 Mar 14.
- 5-ALA complete resections go beyond MR contrast enhancement: shift corrected volumetric analysis of the extent of resection in surgery for glioblastoma. Schucht P, Knittel S, Slotboom J, Seidel K, Murek M, Jilch A, Raabe A, Beck J. ActaNeurochir (Wien). 2014 Feb;156(2):305-12. doi: 10.1007/s00701-013-1906-7.
- Intraoperative fabrication of patient-specific moulded implants for skull reconstruction: single-centre experience of 28 cases. Stieglitz LH, Gerber N, Schmid T, Mordasini P, Fichtner J, Fung C, Murek M, Weber S, Raabe A, Beck J. ActaNeurochir (Wien). 2014 Jan 18.
- Early re-do surgery for glioblastoma is a feasible and safe strategy to achieve complete resection of enhancing tumor. Schucht P, Murek M, Jilch A, Seidel K, Hewer E, Wiest R, Raabe A, Beck J. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 13;8(11):e79846. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0079846.
- Adjuvant therapy after resection of brain metastases: Frameless image-guided LINAC-based radiosurgery and stereotactic hypofractionated radiotherapy. Broemme J, Abu-Isa J, Kottke R, Beck J, Wiest R, Malthaner M, Schmidhalter D, Raabe A, Aebersold DM, Pica A. StrahlentherOnkol. 2013 Sep;189(9):765-770. Epub 2013 Aug 11.
- Continuous dynamic mapping of the corticospinal tract during surgery of motor eloquent brain tumors: a prospective study. Raabe A, Beck J, Schucht P, Seidel K. Neurosurgery. 2013 Aug;60 Suppl 1:169. doi: 10.1227/01.neu.0000432740.79451.f9.PMID: 23839416
- A multi-center retrospective analysis of treatment effects and quality of life in adult patients with cranial ependymomas. Dützmann S, Schatlo B, Lobrinus A, Murek M, Wostrack M, Weiss C, Schaller K, Raabe A, Meyer B, Goldbrunner R, Franz K, Seifert V, Senft C. J Neurooncol. 2013 Jun 29. PMID: 23813228
- Ulrich CT, Fung C, Vatter H, Setzer M, Gueresir E, Seifert V, Beck J, Raabe A. Occurrence of Vasospasm and Infarction in Relation to a Focal Monitoring Sensor in Patients after SAH: Placing a Bet when Placing a Probe? 2013 May 2;8(5):e62754. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0062754. Print 2013.
- Surgical capping of superior semicircular canal dehiscence. Mueller SA, Vibert D, Haeusler R, Raabe A, Caversaccio M. EurArchOtorhinolaryngol. 2013 May 3.
- A rare case of a large spinal meningioma with mediastinal extension and malignant behavior classified histologically as benign. Dahdal S, Andres RH, Hewer E, Reubi JC, Klaeser B, Raabe A, Cihoric N, Schmid R, Tänzler K, Krause T, Aebersold DM, Schmuecking M. Recent Results Cancer Res. 2013;194:443-55.
- Erythropoietin neuroprotection is enhanced by direct cortical application following subdural blood evacuation in a rat model of acute subdural hematoma. RahimiNedjat M, Wähmann M, Bächli H, Güresir E, Vatter H, Raabe A, Heimann A, Kempski O, Alessandri B. Neuroscience. 2013 Feb 13. doi:pii: S0306-4522(13)00111-5. 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2013.01.067.
- The Silent Loss of Neuronavigation Accuracy: A Systematic Retrospective Analysis of Factors Influencing the Mismatch of Frameless Stereotactic Systems in Cranial Neurosurgery. Stieglitz LH, Fichtner J, Andres R, Schucht P, Krähenbühl AK, Raabe A, Beck J. Neurosurgery. 2013 Jan 17. PubMed PMID: 23334280.
- Copeptin as a marker for severity and prognosis of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Fung C, De Marchis GM, Katan M, Seiler M, Arnold M, Gralla J, Raabe A, Beck J. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e53191. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0053191. Epub 2013 Jan 11. PubMed PMID: 23326397; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3543451.
- The warning-sign hierarchy between quantitative subcortical motor mapping and continuous motor evoked potential monitoring during resection of supratentorial brain tumors.Seidel K, Beck J, Stieglitz L, Schucht P, Raabe A. J Neurosurg. 2013 Feb;118(2):287-96. doi: 10.3171/2012.10.JNS12895. Epub 2012 Nov 30. PubMed PMID: 23198802.
- Randomisedtrialofclazosentan, an endothelinreceptorantagonist, in patientswithaneurysmalsubarachnoidhemorrhageundergoingsurgicalclipping (CONSCIOUS-2).Macdonald RL, Higashida RT, Keller E, Mayer SA, Molyneux A, Raabe A, Vajkoczy P, Wanke I, Bach D, Frey A, Marr A, Roux S, Kassell N. Acta NeurochirSuppl. 2013;115:27-31. doi: 10.1007/978-3-7091-1192-5_7. PubMed PMID:22890639.
Prof. Werner Z'Graggen
Senior Attendig in Neurological Intensive Care
Prof. Dr Claudio Pollo
Chief Physician in Functional Neurosurgery
Prof. Dr Philippe Schucht
Chief Physician in Neuro-Oncology
Dr. Christian Ulrich
Chief Physician in Spinal Neurosurgery
- 1-bed and 2-bed rooms with TV, telephone, radio and WLAN connection
- 6 restaurants and cafeterias
- Restaurant with a view of the Bernese Alps
- Comprehensive service for international patients: co-ordination of medical reports, co-ordination of consultations, cost estimate, organisation of hotel reservations, transport and travel advice
- Interpreting service
- Flower boutique, post office, kiosk
- Social counselling with preparation and organisation of health spa stays, rehabilitation and home care
- Pastoral care, Ombudsman’s office, psycho-oncological support
|Bern Railway Station||1 km|
|Bern Belp Airport||9 km|
|Basle Airport||105 km|
|Zurich Airport||128 km|
|Geneva Airport||154 km|
Information About BernMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
Fischer Limousine AG is an independent Swiss company. The company, based in Kloten near Zurich Airport, is a family-owned and run business. The services are aimed at patients, clinics, hospitals and private individuals for safe and comfortable care.
For over 150 years, the five-star hotel "Schweizerhof Bern & THE SPA" has been the leading hotel in the Swiss capital and attracts discerning guests from all over the world for business, events, and leisure. The hotel is located very centrally and contains 99 stylish rooms and suites, a legendary ballroom, a modern Lobby-Lounge Bar as well as a unique Sky Terrace, and much more.