Neurosurgery Specialist in Cologne: Prof. Dr Nakamura
- Neurooncology (tumours of the brain, its membranes or other parts of the nervous system, including skull base)
- Neurotraumatology (traumatic brain injury)
- Vascular disorders of the brain and spine
- Spinal injuries and degenerative diseases of the spine
- Spinal tumours
- Peripheral nerve disorders
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Electrophysiological diagnostics and neuromonitoring
- Preoperative and intraoperative mapping
- Intraoperative three-dimensional imaging
- Intraoperative neuronavigation
- Fluorescence-based intraoperative diagnostic procedures
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Brain tumours and specific, modern follow-up treatment for these
- Tumours of the base of the skull
- Pituitary tumours
- Fluorescence-based tumour surgery
- Intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring
- Stereotactic Surgery
Skull Base Surgery
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases of skull base areas
- Treatment of tumours located at the base of the skull, including pituitary adenomas, meningiomas
- Interdisciplinary surgical treatment of pathological processes of the skull base
- Endoscope-assisted intervertebral disc surgery, ventriculocisternostomies and transnasal resection of various processes in the pituitary and skull base
- Surgical treatment of pituitary tumours
- Surgical treatment of hydrocephalus
- Biopsy and resection of intraventricular tumours
- Stabilisation of the spine through ventral, dorsal, lateral or combined interventions on all sections of the spine
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Spinal stenosis
- Intervertebral disc surgery of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine.
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty
- Percutaneous stabilisation
- Intervertebral disc prostheses
- Endoscopic procedures
- Minimally invasive injection therapies
- Surgical treatment of cerebral aneurysms, vascular malformations
- Cerebral haemorrhages
- Cerebral cavernomas, arteriovenous fistulae
- Traumatic brain injury
- Skull fractures
- Spinal fractures
- Traumatic intracranial bleeding
- Complex intensive care therapy
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Medical and surgical treatment of headaches, facial pain, neuropathic pain, residual limb and phantom limb pain, back pain, tumour pain, acute pain and spasticity
- Infiltration and rhizotomy for patients with back pain
- Invasive non-ablative pain therapy (intrathecal drug pump or spinal stimulation (SCS))
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of diseases, malformations and (consequences of) injuries and other damage to the central and peripheral nervous system
- Treatment of congenital malformations, tumours or trauma
Rehabilitation in the Neighbouring Neurosurgical Rehabilitation Clinic
About Prof. Dr Makoto Nakamura
Prof. Dr Makoto Nakamura is a specialist in neurosurgery and Chief Physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic of the Cologne City Clinics in Merheim. He is also the tenured professor for neurosurgery at the University of Witten/Herdecke. Prof. Nakamura has extensive clinical and scientific experience, particularly in the field of surgical treatment of intracranial meningiomas.
Using innovative techniques, Prof. Nakamura and his team operate on the sensitive structures of the brain and nerves as gently as possible. During surgery, microsurgical techniques as latest microscopes, fully endoscopic and endoscopically assisted techniques, computer-assisted neuronavigation, and intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring ensure highest possible safety levels.
Neurosurgery Clinic in Cologne with State-of-the-Art Equipment
The Cologne-Merheim Clinic is a full-service facility offering maximum care. At the Neurosurgery Clinic, around 3100 operations are performed each year by an interdisciplinary team headed by expert Prof. Dr Makoto Nakamura. The Neurosurgery Clinic has a total of 76 beds. After each surgery, patients are admitted to the OITS intensive care unit. This is one of the largest and most modern intensive care units in all of Germany, located directly opposite to the operating theatres. A seamless transition into neurological rehabilitation is also ensured by the neighbouring Neurological Rehabilitation Clinic.
Innovative technologies are able to ensure that sensitive structures in the brain and nerves are protected during surgery. State-of-the-art microscopes with the highest micro-assistive and fluorescence-based technology are used for this process. It is possible to visualise areas of the brain that are difficult to access using latest endoscopic methods. In addition, computer-assisted neuronavigation and intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring to track and record brain functions before and during surgery ensure the highest possible level of safety during complex interventions. This innovative technology is a significant advance in patient care. It increases safety during surgery and significantly improves the surgical results.
Specialist in Neurosurgery in Cologne
Prof. Nakamura has been Chief Physician of the Neurosurgery Clinic in Cologne-Merheim Hospital since 2016. During his studies, Prof. Nakamura completed periods abroad at Harvard, London and Oxford. Further clinical residencies led him to Tokyo, New York, and Zurich. In 2006, he became Senior Physician at the Hannover Medical School (MHH), and, from 2008, he was the Deputy Director and Head Senior Physician of the Neurosurgery Clinic. As Chief Physician of the Neurosurgery Clinic at Cologne-Merheim Hospital, he leads a competent, interdisciplinary team to diagnose and treat diseases, malformations, and injuries of the brain, spinal cord, spinal column, and peripheral nerves.
As the tenured professor of neurosurgery at the University of Witten/Herdecke (UW/H), Prof. Dr Makoto Nakamura researches the therapy of skull base tumours, especially skull base meningiomas. His goal is to improve medical care, since treating affected patients is still a major challenge. Prof. Nakamura's research focuses on molecular biological and genetic studies to understand tumour growth and to develop new treatment approaches, especially new drug therapies.
Prof. Nakamura is also working on improving surgical procedures in neurosurgery. Prof. Nakamura's primary goal is to optimise medical devices for minimally invasive brain surgeries. Of course, these procedures are not only used for tumours of the skull base or the brain. Vascular diseases and spinal diseases can also be treated more precisely by using minimally invasive techniques, thanks to navigated surgery.
|10.1991 – 05.1998||Study of Human Medicine at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main
Harvard Medical School
University College London
University of Oxford Medical School
|12.1993 – 05.1998||Scholar of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation|
|02.1995 – 03.1995||Orthopaedics
Keio University Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
|02.1996 – 03.1996||Internal medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA
|03.1996 – 04.1996||Neurology
Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, USA
|07.1996 – 08.1997||Neurosurgery
University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
|10.1998||Junior Doctor at the Neurosurgery Clinic at Hannover Nordstadt Hospital (Prof. Dr h.c. mult. M. Samii)|
|01.04.2000||Licence to practise medicine|
|04.2000||Assistant Physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic at Hannover Nordstadt Hospital (Prof. Dr h.c. mult. M. Samii)|
|02.2003||Continuation of work as an assistant physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic, Hannover Nordstadt Hospital (Prof. Dr habil. M. R. Gaab)|
|29.11.2004||Specialist in Neurosurgery|
|04.2005||Senior Physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic, Hannover Nordstadt Hospital|
|01.01.2006||Senior Physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic, Hannover Medical School (Prof. Dr J. K. Krauss)|
|04.2006 – 06.2016||Spokesman for the Central Nervous System Interdisciplinary Tumour Board at Hannover Medical School|
|11.2008 – 06.2016||Deputy Director and Head Senior Physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic, Hannover Medical School (Prof. Dr J. K. Krauss)|
|11.2008 – 06.2016||Lecturer and advanced training officer at the Neurosurgery Clinic, Hannover Medical School|
|01.07.2016 – present||Chief Physician at the Neurosurgery Clinic, Cologne-Merheim Hospital, Clinics of the City of Cologne.|
|09.2016 – present||Professor of Neurosurgery, University of Witten/Herdecke|
- Dr Zafer Cinibulak
- Dr Kazimierz Sadowy, MBA
- Dr Ghassan Abuharbid
- Dr Michael Behr
- Prof. Dr Cleopatra Charalampaki
- Prof. Dr A. Hartmann
- Dr Claudia Schlimper
- Dr Habib Bendella
- Mihai Manu
Senior Physician in charge of a unit
|Cologne Central Railway Station||11 km|
|Cologne/Bonn Airport||14 km|
|Düsseldorf Airport||56 km|
|Frankfurt Airport||175 km|
Information About CologneMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
The Excelsior Hotel Ernst is one of the last privately owned luxury hotels in the world. Family-owned since 1863, the 5 star luxury hotel fascinates guests from around the world. As the only member of the Leading Hotels of the World in Cologne, the Excelsior Hotel Ernst combines stylish tradition with modernity.
Steigenberger Hotel Cologne is located in the heart of Cologne just a few minutes from historical sites. The famous cathedral and the Rhine Promenade is a mere 20 minute walk. Other attractions can be easily reached via metro or bus. The Rudolfplatz is located directly next to the hotel.
Guests from all over the world associate the Steigenberger Grandhotel Petersberg with fascinating history, spacious architecture and a unique view of the beautiful Rhine River Valley. Guests will encounter a luxurious hotel with culinary offerings of great versatility and exclusivity.
Experience magical moments: With the highest visitor numbers and payout rates, the Wiesbaden Casino is number one at the Rhine-Main region. So you should definitely plan a trip to one of the most beautiful casinos in Europe. Enjoy the stylish ambience and the thrills. Wheather a classic game or Vegas flair at the slot machines. You can look forward to an unforgettable evening.
Prof. Dr Makoto Nakamura
Clinics of the City of Cologne – Merheim Hospital
Ostmerheimer Strasse 200, D-51109 Cologne
T: +49 221 5714 39 26
F: +49 221 8907 3997
By phone appointment only:
General Consultation Hours
Mon. – Thu. 8:30 am – 1:00 pm and
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Private Neurosurgery Consultation Hours
Mon. and Thu. 8:30 am – 11:30 pm