Information about Prof Dr Joachim K. Krauss
- Neuro-stimulation (deep brain stimulation, motor cortex, peripheral nerve, dorsal root ganglia, spinal cord)
- Neuro-ablation (pallidotomy, thalamotomy, peripheral denervation, themoablation)
- Movement disorders (Parkinson's, tremor, dystonia, torticollis)
- Chronic pain syndromes (neuropathic pain, cluster, trigeminal neuralgia)
- Psychiatric disorders (obsessive compulsive disorder, Tourette's syndrome)
- Microvascular decompression (trigeminal, vagoglossopharyngeal neuralgia, hemifacial spasm)
Range of Diagnostic services
- Modern sectional imaging in cooperation with neuroradiology and nuclear medicine (MRI, CT, PET)
- Preoperative planning with stereotactics, navigation, and ultrasound
- Fluorescence-based techniques
Range of Therapeutic services
- Stereotactic (functional procedures and biopsies: cerebral tumours and brain stem)
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Stereotactic irradiation in cooperation with radiotherapy
- DBS in Parkinson's (thalamus, globus pallidus, sub-thalamic nucleus, pedunculopontine nucleus)
- DBS for dystonia (all forms, even in childhood – thalamus, globus pallidus, and multi-focal)
- DBS and thalamotomy for tremor (essential tremor, multiple sclerosis, post-traumatic)
- Chronic pain syndromes (neuropathic pain and atypical facial pain: DBS for thalamus and motor cortex, cluster headache, and migraine: DBS for hypothalamus, occipital stimulation, stimulation of the sphenopalatine ganglion; CRPS, and failed back surgery syndrome: Spinal cord stimulation, spinal ganglia stimulation, implantation of pain pumps, facet denervation – cervical and lumbar).
- Peripheral denervation for cervical dystonia (torticollis)
- Peripheral ganglionectomy for post-thoracotomy pain
- C2 ganglionectomy for occipital neuralgia
- Trigeminal neuralgia and facial neuropathies (microvascular decompression, thermal ablation, and neuro-modulation)
- Microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm
- Spasticity (baclofen pumps)
- DBS in psychiatric disorders (obsessive-compulsive disorder, Tourette's)
- Modern stimulation methods (reloadable technique directional electrodes, sensing techniques)
Prof. Dr Joachim K. Krauss MD is a specialist in functional neurosurgery and Director of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Medical University of Hanover.
The Department of Neurosurgery has an excellent reputation – both nationally and internationally – in the surgical treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, and spinal column. It combines excellent medicine with innovative science and technical equipment at the highest level. Dr Krauss is a specialist in the field of functional neurosurgery.
Functional neurosurgery is a special area of neurosurgery and is only offered in a few hospitals. The function of the diseased nervous system can be permanently altered with highly specialised techniques. Neuro-modulation utilises techniques of microsurgery, stereotactics, neuro-stimulation, functional ablation, and medical technology. Focuses include the treatment of movement disorders (tremor, Parkinson's disease, dystonia), psychiatric disorders (obsessive-compulsive disorder, Tourette's) and chronic pain disorders (neuropathic pain, cluster pain, and trigeminal neuralgia). For neuro-stimulation, other stimulation methods are used in addition to deep brain stimulation: Motor cortex, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and dorsal root ganglia.
Dr Krauss has been director of the clinic since 2005. His research interests include experimental and clinical studies with an emphasis on the treatment of movement disorders. He is a specialist in neurosurgery and neurology and has additional qualifications for special pain therapy. He introduced deep brain stimulation in the globus pallidus to treat cervical dystonia and spinal cord stimulation to treat orthostatic tremor. He continues to explore the use of deep brain stimulation in psychiatric disorders.
He is president of the World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery as well as Honorary President of the European Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery.
The website of Dr Krauss can be found here.
|1977–1985||Human medicine at the University of Freiburg|
|1985||Doctorate (magna cum laude)|
|1985–1987||Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurological Clinic of Elzach|
|1988–1989||Stereotactic and Neuro-nuclear Medicine, University of Freiburg|
|1989–1993||Neurosurgery, University of Freiburg|
|1993||Specialist for Neurosurgery|
|1993–1995||Consultant, Neurosurgery, University of Freiburg|
|1994||Habilitation: Pathophysiology and diagnosis of normal pressure hydrocephalus|
|1995||Additional qualification for Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation, and Special Neurosurgical Intensive Care|
|1995–1997||Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College, Houston, USA|
|1997–1998||Consultant and Head of Functional Neurosurgery of the Neurosurgery Department at the University Hospital of Bern, Switzerland|
|1998||Specialist for Neurology|
|1998–1999||Deputy Head Physician, Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Bern, Switzerland|
|1999||Additional qualification in “Special Pain Therapy”|
|1999–2005||Deputy Director of the Neurosurgical Clinic at the University Hospital of Mannheim|
|June 2001||Adjunct Professor at the University of Heidelberg|
|Since 2005||Director of the Department of Neurosurgery of the Hanover Medical School|
Academic leadership positions
- Advisor of the Linguistic Society of Freiburg (1988–1992)
- Chair, Task Force Neurosurgery, Movement Disorders Society (2006-2011)
- Chair, Task Force Dystonia Deep Brain Stimulation, Movement Disorders Society (2008-2012)
- Chair, MDS Pedunculopontine Nucleus Deep Brain Stimulation Working Group in Collaboration with WSSFN (2010- )
- Chair, Commission Technical Standards and Norms, DGNC (2007 - )
- Chair, Education Committee, World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (2010 – )
- Chair, Committee Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (2016 – )
- President, European Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (2010 – 2014)
- Honorary President, European Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (2014 – )
- President, World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (2013 – )
- Dr E.J. Hermann MD
- Dr J. Lang MD
- Dr B. Hong MD
- Dr S. Al-Afif MD
- Dr A Saryyeva MD
- Dr F. Wild MD
|Hanover Central Station||6 km|
|Hanover Airport||15 km|
Information about HanoverMORE
Benefits programme on site
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and brussels airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.