Foot Doctor in Zurich, Switzerland
- Hallux valgus: e.g. Osteotomy
- Interventions at the joints: e.g. osteoarthritis (joint fusion), prostheses (artificial joint), cartilage transplantation
- Tendon surgery
- Neurolysis (treatment of nerve entrapment)
- Removal of tumours, material, and debris
Range of diagnostic services
- Clinical examination (e.g. mechanically functional examination of the foot)
- Imaging examination procedures (e.g. X-ray, CT and MRI as well as diagnostic and therapeutic arthroscopy)
- Patient-oriented advice and consultation on treatment options
- Assessments, counselling as a second opinion
Range of therapeutic services
- Non-operative treatment methods: e.g. physiotherapy, orthopaedics, infiltration (infiltration of painkillers, anti-inflammatory agents or the like e.g. in the case of inflamed joints), shoe advice, special footwear, insoles, foot orthotic devices, prosthetic feet, bandages
- Arthroscopy: e.g. of the ankle or hindfoot
- Percutaneous minimally-invasive surgical techniques
- Operative, targeted osteotomy: in the case of hallux valgus and other foot deformities
- Arthrodesis (joint fusion): e.g. at the ankle
- Prostheses (artificial joints): at the ankle or big toe joint
- Cartilage transplantation in the case of osteoarthritis of the ankle
- Tendon surgery in the case of accidents, paralysis, or flatfoot
- Neurolysis to resolve nerve entrapment e.g. in the case of tarsal tunnel syndrome or Morton's neuroma
- Removal of material and foreign bodies
- Tumour surgery (e.g. removal of a ganglion or a cyst)
About Dr Gerardo J. Maquieira
Dr Gerardo J. Maquieira MD is a foot specialist and expert for ankle surgery. Since 2010, he has worked as an independent specialist at the private Foot Centre of the Hirslanden Clinic in Zürich.
The team of the foot centre offers a complete range of modern diagnostic techniques and surgical treatments for the ankle.
Unique Centre for Foot Disorders in Switzerland
The Foot Centre, which belongs to the Hirslanden Private Clinic Group is one of a kind. Together with two additional experienced colleagues, Dr Maquiera offers a complete range of conservative (non-surgical, orthopaedic) and surgical treatments for disorders of the foot and ankle.
Outpatient interventions are possible directly in the Foot Centre or in the operating theatre. Dr Maquieira and is team generally perform inpatient treatments in the Hirslanden Clinic.
The goal of foot specialist Dr.Maquieira is to restore pain-free ambulation.
The focus of foot surgery is to restore normal, pain-free ambulation so that the patient regains resiliency in both private and professional life as well as when pursing athletic activities, thereby improving quality of life as much as possible.
People of all ages can experience discomfort in the area of the foot. During growth, this are primarily caused by congenital abnormalities or injuries (e.g. bone spurs or malformations). Later in life, this is mainly caused by sports or injuries. In old age, the cause is mainly degenerative phenomena such as osteoarthritis, increasing pressure points with deformities, or circulatory disorders (e.g. in the case of diabetics).
All of these syndromes result in pain and functional limitations. Dr Maquieira and his team strive to resolve this reduced quality of life to the best extent possible.
Dr Maquieira and his team guarantee individual and patient-oriented treatment
Because there are often different treatment approaches for the various syndromes, the Hirslanden Foot Centre guarantees individual and patient-oriented consultation.
Dr Maquieira will guide you through the treatment from start to finish and respond to your expectations and needs. If you have any questions about your symptoms, please contact our specialists. Confidentiality is guaranteed!
|Specialist for orthopaedic surgery and traumatology, specialist for foot and ankle surgery|
|1989–1996||Medical studies at the University of Zürich|
|1997––1999||General Surgery and Traumatology at the Cantonal Hospital in Glarus|
|1999–2000||Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology at the Limmattal Hospital in Schlieren|
|2000–2002||Orthopaedic surgery at the Balgrist University Hospital in Zürich|
|2001–2002||Trauma Surgery at the University Hospital in Zurich|
|2002–2003||Orthopaedic surgery at the Balgrist University Hospital in Zürich|
|2004–2005||Consultant at the Balgrist University Hospital|
|2005–2006||Consultant of Trauma Surgery at the University Hospital in Zürich|
|2006–2007||Consultant of Orthopaedic surgery at the Balgrist University Hospital in Zürich|
|2007–2010||Deputy Head of Foot and Ankle Surgery at the Balgrist University Hospital in Zürich|
|Since 2010||Independent specialist at the Hirslanden private foot centre in Zürich|
|2007||Foot and Ankle Department, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, D. Levine MD/J. Deland MD|
|2008||Cirurgia del pie y tobillo, Clinica Quiron, Madrid, Dr Ernesto Maceira|
|2010||Cirurgica ortopedica y traumatologia, USP Hospital San Carlos, Murcia, Dr Mariano de Prado|
- Swiss Society for Orthopaedics
- Swiss Society for Surgery and Medicine of the Foot
- Swiss Medical Association
- Medical Society of the Canton of Zürich
- Swiss Association of Resident Doctors
- Zurich Orthopaedic Society
- President of Private Doctors in Switzerland
- Dr Arno Frigg MD
Specialist for orthopaedic surgery and traumatology of the musculo-skeletal system
- Dr Alexandro Pellegrino MD
Specialist for Surgery
- The practice of Dr Maquieira is accessible by wheelchair
- Dr Maquieira speaks English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish
|Zürich Central Station||5 km|
|Zürich Airport||15 km|
Information About ZurichMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
Fischer Limousine AG is an independent Swiss company. The company, based in Kloten near Zurich Airport, is a family-owned and run business. The services are aimed at patients, clinics, hospitals and private individuals for safe and comfortable care.
At the aja Zurich, you can choose from three different room categories: comfort, superior, and deluxe. The rooms are equipped with comfortable beds, modern bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, bathrobes, and slippers. Those seeking relaxation will find small oases of oases of peace and quiet at the aja Resort Zurich with its NIVEA House and wellness area.
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
Dr Gerardo J. Maquieira
Independent Specialist in Orthopaedics and Traumatology of the Musculo-Skeletal System
Hirslanden Clinic Zürich
Foot Centre of the Hirslanden Clinic Zürich
Witellikerstrasse 40, CH-8032 Zürich
8:30 am–12:00 pm and 1:00–4:00 pm