Are you looking for information on rheumatoid orthopedics and specialists for treatment or surgery? Then, you will find exclusively experienced specialists and clinics in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. Please, find out about the causes, diagnosis, and therapy or contact our experts.
Specialists in the Field of Orthopedic Rheumatology
Information About the Field of Orthopedic Rheumatology
What Is Orthopedic Rheumatology?
Orthopedic rheumatology describes the field of medicine that deals with the effects of rheumatologic diseases on the musculoskeletal system. Rheumatology encompasses more than 200 different diseases. They can all cause pain in the connective and supporting tissues of the musculoskeletal system. The goal of orthopedic rheumatology is to delay or counteract the loss of function of the musculoskeletal system.
What Is the Difference Between Orthopedic Rheumatology and Internal Medical Rheumatology?
While orthopedic rheumatology deals with the effects of rheumatic diseases on the musculoskeletal system, internal rheumatology has the critical task of identifying and treating possible organ manifestations in inflammatory rheumatic systemic diseases. This is especially valid for a group of particularly severe inflammatory systemic diseases. These include highly active chronic polyarthritis, connective tissue diseases, and vasculitis.
Typical indications for treatment in an internal rheumatology department are:
- Acute relapses
- Organ manifestations or organ complications
- Medication readjustment, especially with immunomodulatory therapy or biologics requiring monitoring
- Patients with many or severe concomitant diseases
- Unclear, severe systemic diseases in which an inflammatory, immunologic cause is suspected
- Manifestations and complications of osteoporosis
Which Rheumatological Diseases Are Treated by Rheumatology Orthopedists?
Rheumatology orthopedists deal with the treatment of effects on the musculoskeletal system, i.e., the muscles, bones, cartilage, and tendons. The following rheumatological diseases have a manifestation in the musculoskeletal system:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Juvenile chronic arthritis
- Reactive arthritis
- Paget's disease
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Connective tissue diseases
Orthopedic Rheumatology Treatments
Rheumatologic complex treatment includes the large joints such as the shoulder, knee, and hip, and the small joints of the hands and feet, and means intensive treatment of rheumatologic diseases with the goals of:
- Relief of pain
- Improvement of mobility
- Improvement of coordination
- Improvement of the life quality
- Control of the disease
What Are Rheumatoid Surgeries, And Which Ones Are Available?
- arthroscopic and open synovectomies
- resection arthroplasties
- stabilizing surgeries on joints
- Joint replacement surgeries
- Soft tissue surgery, synovectomies in the tendon area, tendon transfers, and removal of rheumatoid nodules
- Rheumatologic hand and foot surgery
- Radiosynoviorthesis of joints
Which Doctors and Clinics Are Specialized in Orthopedic Rheumatology?
Specialists in orthopedics and trauma surgery with advanced training in the field of rheumatoid orthopedics are specialists in orthopedic rheumatology. There is intensive cooperation between orthopedic rheumatologists and internal rheumatologists in clinics for comprehensive diagnostics and therapy. A lively exchange with nuclear medicine specialists and the pediatric rheumatology department of the clinic is also beneficial.
We help you to find an expert for your disease. All listed physicians and clinics have been reviewed by us for their outstanding specialization in the field of rheumatoid orthopedics and are awaiting your inquiry or treatment request.
- Manger, Schulze-Koops: Checkliste Rheumatologie. 4. Auflage. Thieme 2012, ISBN 978-3-131-51684-8.
- Egerer et al.: Serologische Diagnostik der rheumatoiden Arthritis. In: Deutsches Ärzteblatt. Band 106, Nummer 10, 2009, doi: 10.3238/arztebl.2009.0159, S. 159–63.
- Schneider et al.: S3-Leitlinie Frühe rheumatoide Arthritis, Management. Deutsche Gesellschaft für Rheumatologie (DGRh). Stand August 2011. Abgerufen am 09.10.2017.
- Hettenkofer et al.: Rheumatologie: Diagnostik-Klinik-Therapie. 6. Auflage. Thieme 2014, ISBN 978-3-136-57806-3.
- Dietel et al.: Harrisons Innere Medizin (2 Bände). 16. Auflage. ABW Wissenschaftsverlagsgesellschaft 2005, ISBN 978-3-936-07229-7.
- Flasnoecker (Hrsg.): TIM, Thieme's Innere Medizin. Thieme 1999, ISBN 978-3-131-12361-9.
- Schmidt: Checkliste Rheumatologie. 2. Auflage. Thieme 2000, ISBN 3-137-63002-9.
- Herold et al.: Innere Medizin. Eigenverlag 2012, ISBN 978-3-981-46602-7.
Find a Doctor by Speciality
At PRIMO MEDICO, you will only find reputable medical authorities who were selected according to strict guidelines. Experience, innovative treatment techniques or reputation in science and research play an important role here.
Help With Your SearchWe will direct your request to the appropriate specialists
We are happy to assist you in choosing a specialist for your needs. The service of PRIMO MEDICO is always free, confidential and discreet for patients.