Information about Prof Dr Thomas Gruenberger
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC, cancer of the liver, hepatoma)
- Hepatic metastases (of colorectal cancer, breast cancer, renal cell carcinoma, etc.)
- Carcinoma of the gallbladder and bile duct (cholangiocellular carcinoma, CCC, Klatskin tumour)
- Benign hepatic tumours (haemangioma, liver cell adenoma, focal nodular hyperplasia (FNH), hepatic cysts)
- Conditions of the biliary tract (gallstones (cholelithiasis), biliary colic, cholangitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), stenosis of the biliary tract, biliary tract cysts)
- Conditions of the gall bladder (inflammation of the gall bladder (cholecystitis), perforation of the gall bladder
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Radiological examination techniques (e.g. computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance tomography (MRT))
- Precise determination of the disease stage in tumour conditions (primarily for liver metastases, advanced stage colorectal carcinoma), cancer of the gallbladder, carcinoma of the biliary tract (CCC, cholangiocellular carcinoma)
- Examination of the gallbladder and biliary tract: clinical (palpation, e.g. Murphy’s sign for inflammation of the gallbladder), sonography (ultrasound examination), computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance tomography (MRT), ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography), PTCD (percutaneous transhepatic cholangio-choledochography), intravenous cholecystocholangiography (i.v. gallbladder), MRCP
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Surgical resection (removal) of liver metastases (sole curative treatment for liver metastases)
- Multidisciplinary care and organisation of the treatment for liver metastases, primarily of colorectal carcinoma (cancer of the colon), carcinoma of the gallbladder and carcinoma of the biliary tract (CCC, cholangiocellular carcinoma)
- Creation of interdisciplinary, individual treatment strategies for rich patient in the “Tumour Board” (meeting of hepatic surgeons, (interventional) radiologists, radiotherapists, gastroenterologists, medical oncologists, pathologists, anaesthetists, surgery co-ordinators)
- Combination of neoadjuvant chemotherapy (chemotherapy prior to surgical procedure; can reduce tumours, thus reducing the extent of surgery) or adjuvant chemotherapy (chemotherapy following surgical procedure in order to reduce or prevent tumour recurrence)
- Palliative chemotherapy co-therapy if the disease stage is inoperable (improvement in the quality of life, extension of survival period)
- Radiotherapy (suitable for small numbers and inoperable liver metastases)
- Tumour destruction (radio frequency ablation (RFA) or microwave ablation = thermoablation (local thermal destruction of tumour tissues, for inoperable patients and small numbers of metastases)
Prof. Thomas Gruenberger is acknowledged across Austria as a leading specialist in the field of oncological hepatobiliary surgery (liver surgery and biliary tract surgery). Currently, he is the surgeon who has performed the most procedures on the liver and the biliary system in Austria (more than 2,000 surgical procedures completed on the liver).
Prof. Gruenberger is currently the Head of Department of Surgery No. 1 at the Rudolf Foundation Hospital in Vienna. This consists of 2 surgical wards, a surgical out-patients’ clinic and a modern operating theatre in which the entire field of general and accident surgery is covered by Prof. Gruenberger and his team. Today, if technically possible and reasonable, minimally invasive procedures (using the keyhole technique) are more frequently used here. Prof. Gruenberger has also been the Head of Hepatobiliary Surgery at the Medical University of Vienna (MUW) for a number of years. Here, he also trains a great number of colleagues in his own specialist field. Prof. Gruenberger perfected his knowledge and surgical expertise, inter alia, during a two-year stay in Australia, at St George Hospital in Sydney, where, besides other duties, he was also Assistant Head of the Liver Unit.
In addition to these activities as the Head of the Department of Surgery No. 1 at the Rudolf Foundation Hospital, Prof. Gruenberger is the proprietor of his own private practice, headquartered in Vienna.
In his specialist field, Prof. Gruenberger deals with the treatment of patients with cancer conditions of the liver and the biliary system. Above all, this concerns liver metastases (e.g. of colorectal cancer), hepatic cancer (liver cell carcinoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, HCC), cancer of the gallbladder or tumours of the biliary tract (cholangiocellular carcinoma, CCC, bile duct carcinoma).
Cancer of the liver is generally a consequence of longstanding chronic conditions and changes in the liver. These are caused e.g. by viral inflammation of the liver, alcohol-related changes (AFLD) or pathological fatty degeneration of the liver (“fatty liver”, NAFLD). Generally, due to chronic inflammation, these causes initially induce cirrhosis of the liver (modification of the connective tissue of the liver) and may lead to cancer of the liver. The treatment of choice for hepaocellular carcinoma is partial removal (liver resection), which is performed by a surgeon such as Prof. Gruenberger. Hepatic metastases are colonies of malignant tumour cells of tumours in other organs in the liver. Colorectal carcinoma (carcinoma of the colon, colorectal cancer), which is very common, for example, in an advanced stage, generally spreads its tumour cells to the liver. Since the clinical picture for hepatic metastases is generally a part of a more complex patient history, it is essential that the counselling and treatment of each patient is individual and patient-orientated. With the aid of the tumour board, such as the tumour board in which Prof. Gruenberger and his colleagues participate weekly, this comprehensive, interdisciplinary care is guaranteed.
Together with liver cell carcinoma and hepatic metastases, tumours of the biliary tract and gallbladder are the third most frequent malignant disease of the liver. As well, for bile duct carcinoma and for tumours of the gallbladder, the only option with any chance of healing is a surgical procedure, and, in Prof. Gruenberger, patients with these conditions have come to the right specialist.
The mortality (mortality rate) of the liver procedures performed by Prof. Gruenberger is approximately 2% and thus below the international average. Thanks to years of experience and continually improved surgical techniques, the complications in the surgical procedures on the hepatobiliary system has been drastically reduced, and the use of stored blood, for example, has decreased markedly (today, less than 10% of liver patients require blood products). In the specialist field of hepatic and bile duct surgery, the multidisciplinary management of liver metastases, hepatic tumours (liver cancer, HCC), carcinoma of the gallbladder and cholangiocellular carcinoma utilised under Prof. Gruenberger is also the scientific and medical standard.
Visit Prof. Gruenberger’s website here.
|1982 – 1991||Studies in human medicine (University of Vienna)|
|2002||Post-doctoral qualification at the University of Vienna “New insights into the surgical treatment of patients with hepatic metastases”|
|1991 – 1998||Training as a specialist in general surgery and transplantation at the Vienna University Hospital (MUW), Department of General Surgery; training partly at Baden Hospital (Lower Austria)|
|1998||Consultant at the University Surgical Hospital, Vienna|
|1999 – 2001||Practice in surgery and research at St George Hospital Sydney, University of New South Wales, Australia, specialising in oncological surgery focusing on the liver / gallbladder / pancreas, Assistant Head of the Liver Unit|
|2001 – 2014||Head of Hepatobiliary Surgery at the Medical University of Vienna|
|2001 – 2014||Head of the Quality Management in Surgery working group at the Medical University of Vienna|
|2001 – 2014||Consultant with in-patient beds at the University Surgical Hospital, Vienna|
|October 2002||Extraordinary Professor at the University of Vienna|
|2002 – 2014||Head of the Liver Team of the Department of General Surgery, MUW|
|Since April 2014||Head of Department of Surgery No. 1 at the Rudolf Foundation Hospital (2015: GI surgery Tumour Board input 60% of the total patients discussed; oncology GI resections >100, pancreas 25, liver 91)|
|2016||Updated Management in Health Care, Danube University Krems, graduated MSc|
Leading positions in scientific associations:
- 2002 – 2014: Board Member of the Austrian Society of Surgical Oncology (ASSO)
- 2003 – 2006: Head of the HPB Surgery working group, ASSO
- 2005 – 2009: General Secretary of the ASSO
- Since 2008: Board Member of the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO)
- Since 2014: Head of the Membership Committee (ESSO)
- Since 2012: Board Member of the European Society of Digestive Oncology (ESDO)
- Faculty Member of the Pan-European Consensus Conference for the Treatment of Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma
- Faculty Member of the World Congress of GI Cancer
- Austrian representative in the HPB section of the UEMS
- Austrian Surgical Association
- German Surgical Association
- Austrian Gastroenterology and Hepatology Association
- European Gastrointestinal Surgery Association
- International HPB Surgery Association
- European HPB Surgery Association
- European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC)
- European Society for Surgical Oncology (ESSO)
- Austrian Society for Surgical Oncology (ASSO)
- European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Austrian Haematology and Oncology Association (OEGHO)
- Dr Wolfgang Blauensteiner
- Dr Gabriele Hastermann
- Dr Elfriede Lebisch
- Dr Michael Pramhas
- Dr Michael Vrba
- Dr Gerhard Wagner
- Dr Anton Landsiedl
- Dr Martin Schermann
- Dr Heidemarie Uher
Prof. Gruenberger speaks fluent German and English.
|Vienna Main Railway Station||1.25 miles|
|Vienna Airport||10.6 miles|
Information about ViennaMORE
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Ruby Hotels - Lean Luxury Design Hotels
Ruby Hotels - a Lean Luxury Design Hotel - five-star accommodation in the heart of the city at the price of a budget hotel. Small but attractive rooms with excellent features and relaxed design.
Grand Hotel Vienna
The Grand Hotel Vienna is one of the most modern and luxurious hotels in Europe. Its location in the heart of Vienna is unique – right next to the ring road and only a few steps away from the State Opera and the beginning of Kärntnerstraße. The five-star deluxe hotel, which is part of the “Leading Hotels of the World,” combines extravagant features, high-quality service, and exquisite gastronomy.
Lufthansa Mobility Partner
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and brussels airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.