Information about Prof Dr Wolfram T. Knoefel, FACS
- Oncological surgery/metastasis surgery (especially metastases in the liver e.g. colo-rectal cancer)
- Hepatobiliary surgery (liver surgery/bile duct surgery e.g. liver tumours (hepatocellular carcinoma), gallbladder cancer, and cholangiocellular carcinoma (cancer of the bile ducts)) and pancreatic surgery (pancreatic surgery e.g. pancreatic cancer)
- Surgery of the oesophagus and stomach (e.g. achalasia, oesophageal cancer, Zenker's diverticulum, and gastric carcinoma)
- Colo-rectal surgery (surgery of the colon and the rectum e.g. rectal cancer, colon cancer, diverticulitis, and complications of inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's disease)
- Bariatric surgery (obesity)
- Endocrine surgery (surgery of the glands, including thyroid surgery) and neuroendocrine surgery (e.g. endocrine pancreatic tumours)
- Minimally-invasive surgery (especially in surgery of the hernia, gallbladder, colon, spleen, and adrenal gland)
Range of Diagnostic services
- Invasive tests: e.g. esophagogastroduodenoscopy (gastroscopy), colonoscopy, ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, inspection of the bile ducts and pancreatic ducts)
- Radiological examinations (e.g. sonography (ultrasound), computed tomography (CT), or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI))
- Diagnosis of the oesophagus and stomach: e.g. functional diagnosis of dysphagia (pH measurement, manometry), gastroscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy)
- Soft tissue sarcomas: Tumours of the soft tissues
- Numerous specialist consultations:
- Private consultations
- General consultation
- Thoracic surgery (surgery of the chest)
- Pancreatic surgery
- Hepatobiliary surgery (surgery of the liver and biliary system)
- Endocrine tumour centre/thyroid (endocrine = based on hormone system)
- Colo-rectal surgery/Proctology (surgery of the colon and rectum)
- Peritoneal carcinosis
- Soft tissue tumours/sarcomas
- Pelvic floor centre
Range of Therapeutic services
- Oncological surgery/metastasis surgery e.g. interdisciplinary care and organisation of an individual, multi-modal therapy concept for patients with cancer (especially colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, or hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer)), regular tumour boards (i.e. meeting of surgeons, radiologists, radiotherapists, and oncologists) on the individual treatment of each patient
- Hepatobiliary surgery (surgery of the liver and the biliary system e.g. surgical removal of liver metastases)
- Pancreas centre: e.g. pancreatic cancer, surgical therapy of chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Oesophageal cancer, benign and malignant tumours of the stomach
- Surgery of the oesophagus and stomach: e.g. Zenker's diverticulum (protuberance of the wall of the oesophagus in the upper third of the organ, which can lead to dysphagia), reflux disease (heartburn, risks of developing oesophageal cancer, achalasia (impaired muscle relaxation of the oesophageal sphincter, food can only reach the stomach with difficulty)
- Bariatric surgery: Gastric balloon, gastric banding, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, bilio-pancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, body contouring after weight loss (e.g. fat paunch removal)
- Thoracic surgery (lung cancer, lung metastases, minimally-invasive lung and thoracic surgery)
Prof. Dr Wolfram T. Knoefel MD is a specialist for visceral surgery and director of the Department of General, Visceral and Paediatric Surgery at the University Hospital of Düsseldorf.
Visceral surgery is the surgery of the intestines i.e. the internal organs of the entire digestive tract (e.g. oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, biliary system, and pancreas). A major focus of Dr Knoefel is the surgical treatment of malignant tumours of the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas. Because of proven expertise, his clinic is a certified liver and pancreas centre.
The Department of General, Visceral, and Paediatric Surgery, which is led by Dr Knoefel, covers the entire diagnostic and therapeutic range of diseases from these disciplines (visceral surgery, paediatric surgery, thoracic surgery) and is therefore rated as a centre of maximum care.
The majority of patients are treated in certified centres:
- Centre colorectal cancer, colo-proctology
- Endocrine tumour centre: e.g. thyroid carcinoma
- Obesity centre: Counselling on the multi-modal concept of obesity treatment, education about treatment options
- Pelvic floor centre
- Hernia centre
- Peritoneal carcinosis centre: Peritoneal carcinosis = metastases of the peritoneum
Dr Knoefel has demonstrated a mastery of the current operational standard techniques. Where technically possible, Dr Knoefel and his team use minimally-invasive surgical techniques. This “keyhole surgery” involves fewer complications (e.g. haemorrhaging, pain, wound healing disorders) and leads to faster recovery. In special cases, he also takes innovative approaches in order to provide the best treatment possible.
Only at the University Hospital of Düsseldorf are the patients' own stem cells used to augment the remaining liver tissue. This technique is used when there is insufficient healthy liver tissue for survival because of metastasis. The ultra-modern surgical method ALPPS (Associating Liver partition and portal vein ligation for Staged hepatectomy) is also regularly implemented to treat liver tumours at the clinic of Dr Knoefel. In this procedure, patients whose livers are so heavily infiltrated by metastases can be helped. The tumours could not otherwise be removed without removing the entire liver. For ALPPS, the fast regenerative capacity of the liver is used, and the metastases are removed in two consecutive procedures. This technique was also developed by Dr Knoefel.
Another specialisation of Dr Knoefel and his team is hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in combination with a tumour reducing operation, which is used to treat peritoneal carcinomatosis (very advanced stage of cancer with metastases in the peritoneum).
At the University Hospital of Düsseldorf, virtually all medical specialities are represented in one space. This fosters interdisciplinary collaboration. It is thus always possible to work out the best individual treatment plan for the patient. All tumour patients of the clinic are analysed in interdisciplinary tumour boards so that individual therapy concepts that conform to the global standards of therapy can be developed. In complex individual cases, every attempt is made to work out innovative solutions for the patient.
The website of Dr Knoefel can be found here.
- Dr Stefan A. Topp MD
- Dr Alexander Rehder
- Dr Mariana Santos MD
Section: Paediatric Surgery
- Dr Nicholas H. Stoecklein MD
Section: Experimental Surgical Oncology
- Dr Anja-Maria Schauer MD
Section: Thoracic Surgery
- Dr Matthias Schauer MD
- Dr Andreas Krieg MD
- Dr Feride Kröpil MD
- Dr Andrea Alexander MD
- Dr Christian Vay MD
- Dr Nadja Lehwald-Tywuschik MD
- The Surgical Clinic of the University Hospital of Düsseldorf is easy to reach by public transport
- The Department of General, Visceral and Paediatric Surgery is entirely wheelchair accessible
- The University Hospital of Düsseldorf has an international office for international patients
|Düsseldorf Central Station||3.5 km|
|Düsseldorf Airport||12 km|
|Dortmund Airport||82 km|
Information about DusseldorfMORE
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Excelsior Hotel Ernst Köln
The Excelsior Hotel Ernst is one of the last privately owned luxury hotels in the world. Family-owned since 1863, the 5 star luxury hotel fascinates guests from around the world. As the only member of the Leading Hotels of the World in Cologne, the Excelsior Hotel Ernst combines stylish tradition with modernity.
Lufthansa Mobility Partner
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and brussels airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
Prof Dr Wolfram T. Knoefel, FACS
Professor und Chairman
University Hospital of Düsseldorf
Clinic for General, Visceral, and Paediatric Surgery
Moorenstraße 5, D-40225 Düsseldorf
Mon, Thu, and Fri: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Wed: 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
other times: by appointment