CardioVascular Centre Frankfurt: Prof. Dr Horst Sievert
- Minimally invasive catheter interventions for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases (PTCA, PTA)
- Catheter-directed heart valve therapy (valve preserving, valve implantation, closure of paravalvular leaks)
- Minimally invasive treatment of congenital and acquired cardiac defects
- Alternative methods for the treatment of hypertension and obesity
- Catheter therapy for circulatory disorders and aneurysms
- Cardiovascular diagnostics (echocardiography, duplex sonography, ECG, blood pressure diagnostics)
Range of Diagnostic Services
- ECG and blood pressure diagnostics (resting ECG, stress ECG, long-term ECG, event recorder, long-term blood pressure measurement)
- Echocardiography (ultrasound examination of the heart)
- Colour Doppler echocardiography (colour-coded ultrasound examination of the heart)
- TTE (transthoracic echocardiography, ultrasound examination of the heart via the thorax)
- TEE (transoesophageal echocardiography, ultrasound examination of the heart via the oesophagus, including 3D technology)
- TCD (transcranial Doppler, diagnosis of connections between the atria by ultrasound of the temporal vessels)
- Stress echo (stress echocardiography, ultrasound examination of a simulated heart load)
- Ultrasound examination of the vessels (duplex sonography of the vessels supplying the brain, the arm/pelvis/leg vessels, the renal arteries, and the large vessels of the abdominal cavity
- Diagnostics of pulmonary hypertension (pulmonary hypertension)
- Angiography (catheter examination of all vessels of the cardiovascular system, digital subtraction angiography, CO2 angiography)
- Doppler sonographic occlusion pressure measurement (in the case of suspected peripheral arterial occlusive disease (pAVK))
- Coronary angiography (left heart catheter examinations, right heart catheter examinations)
- Myocardial biopsy (sampling of heart muscle tissue)
- Laboratory tests
- Pacemaker checks
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Coronary angioplasty (opening of constrictions/closures of the heart disease vessels)
- Peripheral angioplasty (opening of constrictions or occlusions of the body vessels)
- Closure of defects of the cardiac septum (with a hole between the two halves of the heart: PFO, ASD, VSD)
- TAVI/aortic valve implantation/transcatheter aortic valve implantation, pulmonary/mitral valve implantation, valvuloplasty for mitral valve stenosis (balloon dilatation of narrowed heart valves (heart valve disruption))
- Catheter treatment of insufficiencies (leaks) of the heart valves, MitraClip and similar
- Closure of leaks next to heart valve prostheses, closure of paravalvular leaks
- Catheter treatment for cardiac insufficiency: Barostimulation, interatrial shunts, revivent, CCM
- Closure of the left atrial auricle using catheter technology (to reduce the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation)
- Treatment of hypertension with non-medicinal methods
- Catheter treatment of a muscle thickening of the cardiac septum
- Pacemaker implantation, Defi, CRT
- Endoprosthesis implantation in the case of aortic aneurysm
- Catheter procedure for the treatment of obesity: bariatric embolisation
- Electrophysiological examinations and treatments (ablations)
- Treatment of acute stroke (embolectomy)
About Prof. Dr Horst Sievert - Cardiology Frankfurt
Prof. Dr Horst Sievert is a specialist in interventional cardiology and angiology. Since 2003, he has headed the CardioVascular Centre Frankfurt (CVC) at the St Katherine Hospital in Frankfurt. The centre’s focus is placed on the diagnosis and therapy of cardiovascular diseases using latest minimally invasive treatment methods with the aid of heart catheters.
At the CVC, highly qualified medical experts work hand in hand to provide the best possible care for patients. In addition to the specialist disciplines of cardiology, the team also includes experts in cardiac surgery, radiology, and internal medicine. This bundling of specialists for cardiovascular diseases under one roof is what distinguishes the CVC under the direction of Prof. Dr Sievert.
CVC Frankfurt – Centre for Minimally Invasive Cardiology and Angiology in Frankfurt
The CVC offers examination and treatment methods of cardiology and angiology at the highest level. In addition to non-invasive techniques such as ultrasound examination (echocardiography, Doppler sonography), these include in particular invasive techniques such as heart catheter (coronary angiography). The early detection of cardiovascular diseases as well as a targeted therapy can significantly reduce late sequelae such as heart attacks and strokes. Early treatment by an experienced heart specialist such as Prof. Dr Sievert is therefore crucial for the further prognosis of heart patients. His clinical and scientific work focus on interventional cardiology and angiology. He is one of the leading international specialists and treats patients from all over Germany and Europe as well as overseas.
Prof. Dr Sievert – Heart Catheter Specialist (Coronary Angiography) in Frankfurt
One diagnostic and therapeutic focus of Prof Sievert is the performance of heart catheter examinations. In coronary angiography, a vascular catheter is pushed to the heart, and a contrast medium under x-ray fluoroscopy is used to visualize constrictions or other heart diseases. The advantage of the procedure is that dangerous vascular constrictions can be treated directly.
Interventional Cardiology in the Case of Coronary Heart Disease: (CHD)
Coronary heart disease (CHD) is characterized by a gradual “calcification” and constriction of the vessels supplying the heart. These constrictions cause symptoms only in very late stages and can result in a heart attack (myocardial infarction) if the vessel is completely blocked. During coronary angiography, Prof. Sievert expands these constrictions of the vessels using a balloon and keeps them open with a stent.
TAVI and MitraClip Frankfurt – Heart Valve Surgery by Means of Heart Catheter
The most common diseases of heart valves of advanced age are aortic valve stenosis and mitral valve insufficiency. In the case of changes in the heart valves, symptoms (which are often very unspecific) occur only at a very advanced stage of the disease. They can manifest themselves, for example, in dizzy spells, shortness of breath, or rapid fatigue.
Thanks to modern catheter procedures, Prof. Sievert is able to treat constricted aortic valves or leaking mitral valves using heart catheters without major surgery. The first TAVI was performed at the CVC in 2005 and the first MitraClip implantation in 2009. In the CVC, one of the first tricuspid valves worldwide was also implanted using minimally invasive techniques. Comparably good long-term results are available, especially for older patients. TAVI (transcatheter aortic valve implantation) or the MitraClip (for mitral valve leakage) are thus good alternatives to classical open-heart valve surgery, especially for patients with concomitant diseases.
Treatment Options for Hypertension
Renal denervation (RDN) is a catheter treatment for hypertension. The catheter is pushed from the groin into the renal arteries via the abdominal artery. Here, the nerve fibers on the arterial wall are atrophied. This is supposed to reduce hypertension in the long term. The procedure takes about 45 minutes and is considered a safe treatment with few side effects. Another very effective method is baroreceptor stimulation.
PFO Occlusion – Minimise Risk of a Second Stroke
It is estimated that every fourth person has an open Foramen oval which is a small hole in the septum of the heart near the atria. Usually, the hole closes by itself after birth. But often, the opening remains disclosed. Although most patients remain unaware of the defect, a PFO can cause a stroke. Prof. Sievert can easily close the deformity using a cardiac catheter. The procedure is recommended for those patients who have suffered from a stroke already and where no other cause but a persistent Foramen oval has been found.
Interventional Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion (LAA) for Atrial Fibrillation
For patients with atrial fibrillation who cannot take blood thinners on a long-term basis, an interventional left atrial appendage occlusion (LAA) offers a good option for stroke prophylaxis. During this procedure, Prof. Sievert uses a cardiac catheter to insert an LAA occluder into the atrial appendage, because atrial fibrillation often creates blood clots at this location. The LAA occlusion thereby significantly reduces the risk of stroke for patients at risk of bleeding.
Well-Informed Heart Patients
Prof. Dr Sievert and his team regularly offer doctor-patient seminars in order to provide patients and their relatives with comprehensive yet understandable information on their diseases and the potential consequences.
- Human Medicine studies in Mainz and Frankfurt
- Training as a cardiologist in Frankfurt
- Specialist for internal medicine, cardiology, and angiology, internal intensive medicine
- 1990 Habilitation
- 1990 to 1993 Chief Physician of the Cardiological Hospital in Rotenburg
- 1993 to 2003 Cardiovascular Centre Bethanien (CCB, Bethanien Hospital, Frankfurt)
- 2003 Foundation of the CVC
- 2007 to 2009 Simultaneous work at Washington Hospital Centre
- Dr Markus Reinartz
Specialist in heart surgery, internal medicine, and cardiology
- Prof. Dr Erhardt Starck
Specialist in Radiology
- Prof. Dr Iris Quasar Grunwald
Specialist in Radiology and Neuroradiology with focus on Interventional Neuroradiology and Medical Quality Management
- Dr Stefan Bertog
Specialist in Cardiology
- Dr Anja Vogel
Specialist in Cardiology
- Dr Predrag Matic
Specialist for Internal Medicine, Cardiology, and Diabetology
- Pamela Ilioska
Doctor in Training
- Robert Andel
Specialist in Internal Medicine and Cardiology
- Dr Kai Ruffmann
Specialist in Internal Medicine and Cardiology
- Natalia Galeru
Specialist in Cardiology
|Frankfurt/Main Central Station||7 km|
|Frankfurt Airport||20 km|
Information About Frankfurt
Frankfurt is one of the most important financial centres in Germany and Europe. With its skyscrapers unique in Europe, Frankfurt rises above the Main on an area of approximately 243 square kilometres and at its centre accommodates about 700.000 inhabitants. Frankfurt was officially mentioned for the first time in 794 and played a decisive role during the imperial age. Much of the city was destroyed by bombing in World War II by the Allies. The historic old town, however, is preserved, just as its culturally important role in Europe. Today the old town is a tourist magnet that repeatedly attracts visitors from all over the world.
Benefits Programme on Site
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
The Falkenstein Grand Kempinski is a 5-star-superior hotel not far from the pulsating Main metropolis in the heart of the Taunus. It is surrounded by a 6-ha park and a breath-taking skyline view of Frankfurt. Built in 1909 by order of Emperor Wilhelm II, the historical villa-complex featuring 112 rooms, suites, apartments, and a penthouse offers patients the necessary peace of mind, perfect comfort, service, and culinary delights.
A place that inspires the imagination and stimulates creativity. A revelation of burlesque elegance in the heart of the buzzing metropolis of Frankfurt.
The Villa Rothschild Kempinski is a historical 5-star hotel not far from Frankfurt am Main. It boasts a view far beyond the historical castle of Kronberg and offers patients who require appropriate medical treatment a place of rest and relaxation.
Experience magical moments: With the highest visitor numbers and payout rates, the Wiesbaden Casino is number one at the Rhine-Main region. So you should definitely plan a trip to one of the most beautiful casinos in Europe. Enjoy the stylish ambience and the thrills. Wheather a classic game or Vegas flair at the slot machines. You can look forward to an unforgettable evening.
Wertheim Village, a special kind of luxury outlet, is nestled in the picturesque vineyards of Franconia. With over 110 designer boutiques, Wertheim Village offers reductions of up to 60% compared to the previously recommended retail price.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.