Orthopedic Doctor and Back Specialist in Hamburg Dr Mallwitz
- Acute and chronic back pain
- Cervical spine disorders (e.g. cervical spine syndrome), atlanto-occipital joint dysfunction with accompanying symptoms such as headache, dizziness, tinnitus
- Prolapsed disc (slipped disc) and protruding disc (bulging disc) in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine, lumbago, sciatica (sciatic pain syndrome)
- Spinal stenosis of the cervical or lumbar spine, degenerative changes in the facet joints (spondylarthrosis)
- Metabolic bone conditions, such as osteoporosis, with or without fractures
- Congenital or wear-induced scoliosis, congenital or acquired listhesis (spondylolisthesis)
- Dysfunctions of all sections of the spinal column, muscular imbalance
- Multimodal and interventional pain therapy
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Manual medical diagnostics
- Fluoroscopy-controlled diagnostic infiltration
- Sonography (ultrasound) examination for evaluation of the musculoskeletal system
- Second opinion diagnosis and, if necessary, interdisciplinary diagnosis, for screening prior to spinal surgery
- Computerised, system-supported core muscle diagnostics
- Osteoporosis diagnosis, laboratory and apparatus tests, if necessary, interdisciplinary diagnostics
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Manual medical therapy
- Medication-based pain therapy
- Near-spine infiltrations (facet infiltration, epidural flooding, periradicular therapy (PRT))
- Planning and co-ordination of physiotherapeutic stabilisation treatment
- Planning and co-ordination of medical training therapy (MTT)
- 4-week complex multimodal programmes for chronic pain disorders of the spine
About Dr Joachim Mallwitz
Dr Joachim Mallwitz is specialist in conservative treatment of back and spinal conditions and is medical director of the Rückenzentrum Am Michel in Hamburg. Dr Mallwitz is a specialist in orthopaedics with additional qualifications in manual medicine / chiropractic and sports medicine and worked as a physiotherapist before he started medical studies.
Specialist in Holistic Back Therapy in Hamburg
Dr Mallwitz is one of the pioneers in holistic back therapy. In 2001, he was one of the co-founders of the Rückenzentrum Am Michel, which is an interdisciplinary centre for the treatment of back pain. In addition to the Rückenzentrum Am Michel in Hamburg, there are further locations in Berlin, Bremen and Bonn.
Back pain is very complex and rarely has only one single cause. Structural, functional and emotional components contribute to back pain. Therefore, it is important to review the detailed medical history of the patient and to conduct a thorough physical examination in order to determine which components are involved.
Interdisciplinary Collaboration for the Benefit of Patients With Chronic Back Pain
A range of professionals work at the Rückenzentrum Am Michel, including specialists in orthopaedics, physical and rehabilitative medicine, psychotherapy, physiotherapy and sports scientists. Dr Mallwitz and his team place great emphasis on close, multidisciplinary collaboration. The exchange of information between doctors and therapists in the planning, co-ordination and control ensures the optimum outcome. Especially when it comes to patients with chronic low back pain, interdisciplinary medicine focuses on the individual as a whole, which is critical for successful treatment.
One of the Best Centres Nationwide for Out-Patient Multimodal Treatment
Many health insurance companies recommend the Rückenzentrum Am Michel to their customers who suffer from particularly complex chronic back pain. These patients are treated according to the National Care Guideline for Lower Back Pain in complex four-week multimodal programmes. The Rückenzentrum Am Michel is consistently recognised as one of the best centres nationwide for out-patient multimodal treatment of chronified back pain.
Specialists in Providing Second Opinions on Spinal Operations
The experience in the treatment of chronified patients and the perfect interaction of the specialists is also of great benefit to patients who have acute lower back or neck problems. In addition, Dr Mallwitz, who has many years experience as a surgeon, is often consulted for a second opinion by many patients who are scheduled for spinal surgery. In approximately 90% of cases, his recommendation is not to operate. Conservative treatment such as manual therapy and medical training therapy provide a viable alternative, especially when it comes to back problems. Should an operation be necessary, however, Dr Mallwitz works closely with orthopaedic and accident surgery specialists.
Holistic Diagnosis and Therapy of Functional Disorders of the Locomotor system
Clinical pictures which specialists at the back centre are regularly confronted with:
- Functional disorders of the entire locomotor system
- Slipped discs (herniated disc, disc prolapse) with and without nerve damage
- Congenital and acquired spinal deformities
- Degenerative changes in the spine
- Bone metabolism disorders (osteoporosis)
- Deconditioning after spinal surgery
- Sports injuries
- Muscular imbalances of the locomotor system
The condition of most patients improves markedly thanks to conservative orthopaedic measures in combination with physiotherapy and targeted muscle training. If a weak muscle is the reason for back pain and a focused improvement in strength is therefore required, medical training therapy is conducted at the Rückenzentrum Am Michel. The aim of this training is to improve the performance of the back muscles with selective high-intensity weight training in order to eliminate the pain.
Diagnostics and Treatment of the Large Joints
For diagnostics and therapy of complaints and diseases of large joints such as the shoulder, elbow, knee, hip, and ankle, patients can make use of the joint consultation clinic at the Back Centre. The specialists Dr Helge Beckmann and Dr Michael Green have many years of surgical experience in orthopaedics and trauma surgery and also carry out non-surgical therapies at the Am Michel Back Centre in Hamburg.
|1982 – 1984||Training as a physiotherapist at the Hamburg University Hospital School of Physiotherapy, Eppendorf|
|1984 – 1986||Physiotherapist in the fields of neurology and accident surgery at the Harburg General Hospital in Hamburg|
|1986 – 1992||Medical studies at the University of Hamburg|
|1992 – 2000||Training as a specialist in orthopaedics in the Orthopaedics Department of Barmbek General Hospital in Hamburg under Prof. Hille|
|2000||Approval as a specialist in orthopaedics|
|2001||Co-founder of the Rückenzentrum Am Michel in Hamburg|
|Since 2001||Senior Consultant at the Rückenzentrum Am Michel and CEO of Rückenzentrum Holding AG|
|Additional qualifications in sports medicine and manual medicine / chiropractic|
Dr Nicolai Borkowski
Specialist in orthopaedics, manual medicine/chirotherapy
Dr. Nicolai Schurbohm
Specialist in Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery,
Manual Medicine / Chirotherapy, Special Pain Therapy,
Acupuncture, Psychosomatic Primary Care
Specialist in physical and rehabilitation medicine
manual medicine/chiropractic, allergology
Dr Helge Beckmann
Consultant physician for shoulder, hip, knee pain
specialist in orthopaedics and accident surgery
Dr Michael Green
Consultant physician for shoulder, hip, knee pain
specialist in orthopaedics and accident surgery,
manual medicine/chiropractic, sports medicine
- Orthopaedic specialist consultation (e.g. joint consultation)
- Osteology specialist consultation in collaboration with the Hamburg University Hospital, Eppendorf
- Multimodal and interventional pain therapy
- Close interdisciplinary collaboration for the best possible patient care (including specialists in physiotherapy and psychotherapy, and, if required, with colleagues from the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery)
- Barrier-free access via Erste Brunnenstrasse 1
|Hamburg Main Railway Station||2.5 km|
|Hamburg Airport||11.5 km|
Information About HamburgMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Ruby Hotels Hamburg - Lean Luxury Design Hotel - Five-star rooms in charming central location of the city for the price of a budget hotel. Small but nice - rooms with best equipment in casual style.
SIDE Design Hotel is located in the beautiful city centre of Hamburg near the Alster Lake and the downtown shopping malls. It is the first and only five-star designer hotel in the city and provides guests with a full spa service (SIDE Wellness & SPA) as well as meeting and conference rooms - which are equipped with the latest technology and can be adapted to meet various space requirements.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
The Privathotel (privately owned) Lindtner Hamburg is one of the most beautiful outdoor hideaways. Well connected to the city centre and in immediate vicinity of the Asklepios Clinic Harburg, you will find peace and relaxation here. An atmosphere of light-filled, large rooms with a perceptible love of art and details that perfectly complement the stay.
The Hotel Atlantic Kempinski Hamburg was first opened more than 100 years ago as a classic grand hotel for first-class passengers of world-famous luxury liners. The landmarked guesthouse complex is now an emblem of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg and is one of the last grand hotels in a German metropolis. Centrally located between Hamburg's main railway station, Hamburg’s city hall and the Outer Alster River, the "White Castle" hostelry offers perfect stays for sophisticated business travellers and private tourists.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Dr Joachim Mallwitz
Senior Consultant and Chairman of Rückenzentrum Holding AG
Rückenzentrum Am Michel
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
For private patients and self-paying patients