Information about Dr Joachim Mallwitz
- Acute and chronic back pain
- Cervical spine disorders (e.g. cervical spine syndrome), atlanto-occipital joint dysfunction with accompanying symptoms such as headache, dizziness, tinnitus
- Prolapsed disc (slipped disc) and protruding disc (bulging disc) in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine, lumbago, sciatica (sciatic pain syndrome)
- Spinal stenosis of the cervical or lumbar spine, degenerative changes in the facet joints (spondylarthrosis)
- Metabolic bone conditions, such as osteoporosis, with or without fractures
- Congenital or wear-induced scoliosis, congenital or acquired listhesis (spondylolisthesis)
- Dysfunctions of all sections of the spinal column, muscular imbalance
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Manual medical diagnostics
- Fluoroscopy-controlled diagnostic infiltration
- Sonography (ultrasound) examination for evaluation of the musculoskeletal system
- Second opinion diagnosis and, if necessary, interdisciplinary diagnosis, for screening prior to spinal surgery
- Computerised, system-supported core muscle diagnostics
- Osteoporosis diagnosis, laboratory and apparatus tests, if necessary, interdisciplinary diagnostics
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Manual medical therapy
- Medication-based pain therapy
- Near-spine infiltrations (facet infiltration, epidural flooding, periradicular therapy (PRT))
- Planning and co-ordination of physiotherapeutic stabilisation treatment
- Planning and co-ordination of medical training therapy (MTT)
- 4-week complex multimodal programmes for chronic pain disorders of the spine
Dr Joachim Mallwitz is a specialist in the conservative treatment of back and spinal conditions and is the medical director of the Rückenzentrum Am Michel in Hamburg. Dr Mallwitz is a specialist in orthopaedics with additional qualifications in manual medicine / chiropractic and sports medicine and worked as a physiotherapist before he started medical studies.
Dr Mallwitz is one of the pioneers in holistic back therapy. In 2001, he was one of the co-founders of the Rückenzentrum Am Michel, which is an interdisciplinary centre for the treatment of back pain. In addition to the Rückenzentrum Am Michel in Hamburg, there are further locations in Berlin, Bremen and Bonn.
Back pain is very complex and rarely has only one single cause. Structural, functional and emotional components contribute to back pain. Therefore, it is important to review the detailed medical history of the patient and to conduct a thorough physical examination in order to determine which components are involved.
A range of professionals work at the Rückenzentrum Am Michel, including specialists in orthopaedics, physical and rehabilitative medicine, psychotherapy, physiotherapy and sports scientists. Dr Mallwitz and his team place great emphasis on close, multidisciplinary collaboration. The exchange of information between doctors and therapists in the planning, co-ordination and control ensures the optimum outcome. Especially when it comes to patients with chronic low back pain, interdisciplinary medicine focuses on the individual as a whole, which is critical for successful treatment.
Many health insurance companies recommend the Rückenzentrum Am Michel to their customers who suffer from particularly complex chronic back pain. These patients are treated according to the National Care Guideline for Lower Back Pain in complex four-week multimodal programmes. The Rückenzentrum Am Michel is consistently recognised as one of the best centres nationwide for out-patient multimodal treatment of chronified back pain.
The experience in the treatment of chronified patients and the perfect interaction of the specialists is also of great benefit to patients who have acute lower back or neck problems. In addition, Dr Mallwitz, who has many years experience as a surgeon, is often consulted for a second opinion by many patients who are scheduled for spinal surgery. In approximately 90% of cases, his recommendation is not to operate. Conservative treatment such as manual therapy and medical training therapy provide a viable alternative, especially when it comes to back problems. Should an operation be necessary, however, Dr Mallwitz works closely with orthopaedic and accident surgery specialists.
The specialists at the spinal centre are regularly confronted with disorders which include dysfunctions of the entire musculoskeletal system, slipped disc (prolapsed disc, herniated disc), with and without nerve damage, congenital and acquired deformities of the spine, wear-related changes in the spine, metabolic bone disorders (osteoporosis), deconditioning after spinal surgery, sports injuries and muscular imbalances of the musculoskeletal system.
The condition of most patients improves markedly thanks to conservative orthopaedic measures in combination with physiotherapy and targeted muscle training. If a weak muscle is the reason for back pain and a focused improvement in strength is therefore required, medical training therapy is conducted at the Rückenzentrum Am Michel. The aim of this training is to improve the performance of the back muscles with selective high-intensity weight training in order to eliminate the pain.
Dr Mallwitz’s website can be found here.
|1982 – 1984||Training as a physiotherapist at the Hamburg University Hospital School of Physiotherapy, Eppendorf|
|1984 – 1986||Physiotherapist in the fields of neurology and accident surgery at the Harburg General Hospital in Hamburg|
|1986 – 1992||Medical studies at the University of Hamburg|
|1992 – 2000||Training as a specialist in orthopaedics in the Orthopaedics Department of Barmbek General Hospital in Hamburg under Prof. Hille|
|2000||Approval as a specialist in orthopaedics|
|2001||Co-founder of the Rückenzentrum Am Michel in Hamburg|
|Since 2001||Senior Consultant at the Rückenzentrum Am Michel and CEO of Rückenzentrum Holding AG|
|Additional qualifications in sports medicine and manual medicine / chiropractic|
Dr Nicolai Borkowski
Specialist in orthopaedics, manual medicine/chirotherapy
Dr Kay Niemier
Specialist in general medicine and physical and rehabilitative medicine,
manual medicine/chiropractic, special pain therapy, naturopathy
Specialist in physical and rehabilitation medicine
manual medicine/chiropractic, allergology
Dr Helge Beckmann
Consultant physician for shoulder, hip, knee pain
specialist in orthopaedics and accident surgery
Dr Michael Green
Consultant physician for shoulder, hip, knee pain
specialist in orthopaedics and accident surgery,
manual medicine/chiropractic, sports medicine
- Orthopaedic specialist consultation (e.g. joint consultation)
- Osteology specialist consultation in collaboration with the Hamburg University Hospital, Eppendorf
- Close interdisciplinary collaboration for the best possible patient care (including specialists in physiotherapy and psychotherapy, and, if required, with colleagues from the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery)
- Barrier-free access via Erste Brunnenstrasse 1
|Hamburg Main Railway Station||2.5 km|
|Hamburg Airport||11.5 km|
Information about HamburgMORE
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Lufthansa Mobility Partner
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and brussels airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
SIDE Design Hotel
SIDE Design Hotel is located in the beautiful city centre of Hamburg near the Alster Lake and the downtown shopping malls. It is the first and only five-star designer hotel in the city and provides guests with a full spa service (SIDE Wellness & SPA) as well as meeting and conference rooms - which are equipped with the latest technology and can be adapted to meet various space requirements.
Dr Joachim Mallwitz
Senior Consultant and Chairman of Rückenzentrum Holding AG
Rückenzentrum Am Michel
Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.