Information About Urology St. Anna
- Urological oncology (complex tumour surgery)
- Operational and reconstructive urology, minimally invasive urology (surgical robot Da Vinci Xi, laparoscopy / "keyhole surgery"), microsurgery (surgical technique with the aid of a microscope)
- Andrology ( "Men field", reproductive functions of the man, fertility diagnosis and treatment of fertility (infertility))
- Stone treatment (minimally invasive, ESWL -extracorporeal shock-waves lithotripsy)
- Incontinence in men (stress incontinence, often after radical prostatectomy (prostate removal)), urethral surgery, urinary diversions
- Vasectomy (prevention of the vas deferens) and vasovasostomy (reunification of the vas deferens)
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Urological primary care
- Management of urological oncological tomour suffering (interdisciplinary tumour boards)
- Andrology: fertility evaluation (infertility, unfulfilled desire to have children, including microsurgical testicular sperm extraction (= micro-TESE, microscopic removal of testicular tissue for sperm extraction)
- Possibility of medical second opinion
- Incontinence clarifications (urodynamic examinations, bladder cystoscopies)
- Giving medical opinions
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Urological oncology (complex urological oncological surgery, interdisciplinary patient care, such as bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer)
- Operational and reconstructive urology (minimally invasive techniques, open surgical techniques, robot assisted, including radical tumour removals, reconstructive procedures, treatment of malformations, creation of urinary diversions (different types of replacement bladders, ileal conduit)
- Robot-assisted urological surgery with Da Vinci Xi (interventions on the prostate, kidney, bladder, ureter, adrenal gland, lymph nodes)
- Stone treatment: including treatment by ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, stone fragmentations by shock waves) in cooperation with highly experienced medical technicians and endoscopy by light reflection of the bladder, ureter and renal pelvis.
- Operative treatment of severe incontinence (urine leakage) of man (especially frequent after radical prostatectomy (removal of the prostate), implantation of an artificial urethral sphincter)
- No scalpel vasectomy (modern technology to suppress the male vas deferens without incision and stitch, male sterilisation, outpatient under local anaesthesia)
- Microsurgical vasovasostomy (reunification of separated sperm duct under the microscope, under local anaesthesia or with additional anaesthesia if desired)
- Andrology: fertility treatment in close collaboration with colleagues from the reproductive medicine faculty at the St. Anna Hospital, microscopic testicular sperm extraction (micro-TESE), counseling and therapy implementation in the event of hormone deficiency of the man (testosterone deficiency)
About Urology St. Anna
Urology St. Anna Lucerne - Professional Competence par Excellence
In the joint practice for urology, St. Anna in Lucerne, the patient, and his needs are the focus of attention. The experienced urologists PD Dr. Frédéric Birkhäuser and PD Dr. Pascal Zehnder have access to the most modern diagnostic equipment and surgical techniques to create adjusted treatment concepts for each patient. In addition to professional expertise, the holistic view of the human being plays an essential role in Lucerne Urology.
The St. Anna Urology Practice with the team of PD Dr. Frédéric Birkhäuser and PD Dr. Pascal Zehnder specializes in uro-oncology (cancer of the urogenital tract), surgical and reconstructive (restorative) urology, minimally invasive surgery (Da Vinci operation robots), and andrology ("men's science") in addition to the entire range of primary urological care for men and women. In May 2018, the Urology St. Anna was awarded for its quality management as an ISO-certified urology center as well as an ISO-certified practice.
Cooperation with the Hirslanden Cantonal Hospital St. Anna Clinic
The Private Practice Urology St. Anna was founded on January 1, 2015, by the experienced team of urologists after many years of work at national and international university institutions. In addition to their work in the urological practice, Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder are also affiliated physicians in the adjacent Hirslanden St. Anna Clinic for surgery and therapy. The direct local connection to the St. Anna Clinic enables patient-oriented, integrative, and interdisciplinary treatment across all medical disciplines.
State-of-The-Art Technologies and the Highest Level of Professional Competence
The urological clinic is characterized by a combination of many years of medical experience with the most modern medical technology. In January 2015, for example, the first patient in Switzerland was operated on at the Hirslanden St. Anna Clinic using the latest model of the „Da Vinci Xi" surgery robot. This robot can be used in many areas of surgical urology, e.g., on the prostate, kidney, bladder, ureter, and adrenal glands. In June 2015, the medical technology spectrum of the St. Anna Clinic was expanded by a Storz Modulith-SLX F2 lithotripter, which allows stone fragmentation (ESWL, extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, e.g., ureteral stone, kidney stone) via shock waves from outside without invasive surgical intervention. The stone technician Rolf Schutz, who accompanies the treatment, is one of the most experienced professionals in his field worldwide with over 25,000 procedures.
Treatment Focus of the Urology Department at St. Anna Lucerne
The St. Anna Urology in Lucerne covers the entire range of urological treatments for men and women. For complex clinical pictures and tumor diseases, Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder work hand in hand. They are in constant exchange, which means that patients can benefit from the expertise of two specialists at once. The experts of the Lucerne Urology Department pay special attention to the following main focuses:
- Uro-oncological diseases
- Surgical urological treatments
- Interventions with the Da Vinci surgery robot
- Stone treatment
- Incontinence treatment for men
- Vasectomy and vasovasostomy
The field of uro-oncology includes the diagnosis, therapy, and follow-up treatment of patients with cancer in the urogenital tract, e.g., bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, or testicular cancer. The treatment spectrum includes both surgical and conservative (non-operative) treatment methods. In the care of these patients, interdisciplinary cooperation between different medical fields (including urologists, medical cancer specialists (oncologists), radiation physicians (radio-oncologists), X-ray specialists (radiologists), and doctors of internal medicine (internists)) is of utmost importance. Every week, Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder discuss their cases on a cross-departmental basis with the specialists at the St. Anna Klinik and develop suitable treatment strategies together. Each specialist brings his/her point of view to the discussion, whether it is a disease of the kidneys, urinary tract, or sexual organs. Thanks to their many years of experience and good cooperation with the doctors at the Hirslanden St. Anna Clinic, Dr. Birkhäuser, and Dr. Zehnder can provide you with the best possible advice and treatment.
In the field of surgical urology, there are now numerous possibilities for treating patients. Urologists are proficient in open surgical techniques such as laparoscopic (keyhole technique), Da Vinci robot-assisted, microsurgical (supported by a light microscope), and endourological interventions. The two specialists Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder, specialize in complex surgical procedures. Tumor surgery for cancer of the bladder, prostate, and kidneys is part of their expertise. Reconstructions of the urinary tract, such as the formation of urinary drainage (e.g., replacement bladder, artificial outlet) or the correction of urinary flow disorders, are also part of their surgical repertoire. With all these sophisticated surgical techniques, the focus is on the most sensible treatment for each patient and not on technical feasibility. The decision regarding a particular surgical method is always based on individual requirements and the specific benefit for the patient.
Incontinence Treatment for Men
If severe urinary incontinence is present in men, conservative treatment alone is usually not sufficient. Men are particularly often affected by a malfunction of the urethral sphincter muscle after a comprehensive prostatectomy. The surgical procedure is coordinated with the patient after individual consultation.
Thanks to state-of-the-art medical technology, the patient is spared from surgical removal of stones in the bladder, ureter, or kidneys. With the method of extracorporeal stone fragmentation (ESWL), stones can be destroyed externally at the St. Anna Clinic with shock wave litotrophy.
Andrology is a branch of urology that deals with various problems of male sexuality, sexual health, the men's reproductive function, and the aging male. In "men's studies," among others, the hormone status of the man is examined. Disturbances of the testosterone balance can lead to a variety of complaints, such as loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, infertility, or even disorders of bone metabolism. In close cooperation with the Fertility Clinic St. Anna, the specialists Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder offer the most modern microsurgical techniques for male infertility, such as refertilization surgeries after ligation (vasovasostomy) and microsurgical testicular sperm extraction (micro-TESE).
Vasectomy and Vasovasostomy
Once family planning is complete, more and more men are deciding in favor of sterilization (vasectomy). In this procedure, the specialist cuts through the man's spermatic ducts. Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder perform a vasectomy using the extremely gentle no-scalpel method. This small, bloodless procedure is performed without a scalpel by spreading the skin. With a so-called vasovasostomy, sterilization can be reversed under certain conditions.
Urology St. Anna Lucerne - Adjusted Treatment Concepts
Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder are committed to patient-oriented treatment that is adjusted to individual circumstances. Patients will find the best conditions for comprehensive diagnostics and targeted therapy of their urological disease.
PD Dr. Frédéric Birkhäuser
|1993 – 1999||Study of human medicine at the University of Basel and at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris)|
|2001 - 2004||Surgical and medical basic training at the St. Clara Hospital in Basel and Kantonsspital [Cantonal Hospital] of Aarau|
|2004-2010||Urology training at the University Hospital of Bern, as a senior physician since 2009|
|2010 - 2012||Research at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), regarding immune oncology|
|2012 - 2014||Senior physician at the urological University Hospital of Bern|
|Since 2015||Joint partner of the Urology St. Anna practice and attending physician at the Hirslanden St. Anna Hospital|
PD Dr. Pascal Zehnder
|1995 - 2001||Study of human medicine, University of Fribourg and Bern|
|2002 - 2004||Basic surgical training at the Lucerne Cantonal Hospital Sursee (LUKS Sursee)|
|2004 - 2009||Urology training at the University Hospital of Bern, as a senior physician since 2009|
|2010||Research at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles (USC), on robotic surgery and bladder cancer|
|2011 – 2014||Senior physician at the urological University Hospital of Bern|
|Since 2015||Joint partner of the Urology St. Anna practice and attending physician at the Hirslanden St. Anna Hospital|
Dr Philipp Huber
|2003 – 2009||Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bern|
|2010 – 2012||Basic surgical training at Thun District Hospital, Switzerland|
|2012 – 2016||Urological training/further training at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern, Switzerland|
|2017||Research period (diagnosis and focal therapy of prostate cancer) at University College Hospital London and Imperial College London, UK|
|2018||Senior Physician at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern, Switzerland|
|Since 2019||St Anna Urology Practice and external affiliated physician at the St Anna Clinic, Lucerne, Switzerland|
Dr Felix Moltzahn
|1999 – 2004||Study of Human Medicine at the Rhineland-Westphalian Technical College in Aachen, Germany|
|2004 – 2008||Urological training/further training at the Urological University Clinic in Dusseldorf, Germany|
|2008 – 2010||Research period (prostate cancer) at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)|
|2010 – 2014||Urological training/further training at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern, Switzerland|
|2014 – 2015||Bernese Visceral Surgery, Hirslanden Clinic Beau Site in Bern (Prof. Dr Z`Graggen)|
|2015 – 2017||Senior Physician at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern|
|Since Oct 2017||St Anna Urology Practice and external affiliated physician at the St Anna Clinic, Lucerne, Switzerland|
- PD Dr Frédéric Birkhäuser
- PD Dr Pascal Zehnder
- Dr Philipp Huber
Specialist in Urology
- Dr Felix Moltzahn
Specialist in Urology, FMH
- The practice Urology St. Anna is entirely wheelchair accessible
- PD Dr. Birkhäuser is fluent in German, French, English and Italian
- PD Dr. Zehnder knows the languages German, French and English
|Lucerne train station||2,3 km|
|Zurich Airport||63 km|
|Bern-Belp Airport||126 km|
Information About LuzernMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Fischer Limousine AG is an independent Swiss company. The company, based in Kloten near Zurich Airport, is a family-owned and run business. The services are aimed at patients, clinics, hospitals and private individuals for safe and comfortable care.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.