Information About Urology St. Anna
- Urological oncology (complex tumour surgery)
- Operational and reconstructive urology, minimally invasive urology (surgical robot Da Vinci Xi, laparoscopy / "keyhole surgery"), microsurgery (surgical technique with the aid of a microscope)
- Andrology ( "Men field", reproductive functions of the man, fertility diagnosis and treatment of fertility (infertility))
- Stone treatment (minimally invasive, ESWL -extracorporeal shock-waves lithotripsy)
- Incontinence in men (stress incontinence, often after radical prostatectomy (prostate removal)), urethral surgery, urinary diversions
- Vasectomy (prevention of the vas deferens) and vasovasostomy (reunification of the vas deferens)
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Urological primary care
- Management of urological oncological tomour suffering (interdisciplinary tumour boards)
- Andrology: fertility evaluation (infertility, unfulfilled desire to have children, including microsurgical testicular sperm extraction (= micro-TESE, microscopic removal of testicular tissue for sperm extraction)
- Possibility of medical second opinion
- Incontinence clarifications (urodynamic examinations, bladder cystoscopies)
- Giving medical opinions
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Urological oncology (complex urological oncological surgery, interdisciplinary patient care, such as bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer)
- Operational and reconstructive urology (minimally invasive techniques, open surgical techniques, robot assisted, including radical tumour removals, reconstructive procedures, treatment of malformations, creation of urinary diversions (different types of replacement bladders, ileal conduit)
- Robot-assisted urological surgery with Da Vinci Xi (interventions on the prostate, kidney, bladder, ureter, adrenal gland, lymph nodes)
- Stone treatment: including treatment by ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, stone fragmentations by shock waves) in cooperation with highly experienced medical technicians and endoscopy by light reflection of the bladder, ureter and renal pelvis.
- Operative treatment of severe incontinence (urine leakage) of man (especially frequent after radical prostatectomy (removal of the prostate), implantation of an artificial urethral sphincter)
- No scalpel vasectomy (modern technology to suppress the male vas deferens without incision and stitch, male sterilisation, outpatient under local anaesthesia)
- Microsurgical vasovasostomy (reunification of separated sperm duct under the microscope, under local anaesthesia or with additional anaesthesia if desired)
- Andrology: fertility treatment in close collaboration with colleagues from the reproductive medicine faculty at the St. Anna Hospital, microscopic testicular sperm extraction (micro-TESE), counseling and therapy implementation in the event of hormone deficiency of the man (testosterone deficiency)
About Urology St. Anna
St Anna Urology Lucerne – Professional Competence Par Excellence
The St Anna joint practice for urology in Lucerne is mainly focused on the patient and his or her needs. The experienced urologists Dr Frédéric Birkhäuser and Dr Pascal Zehnder have access to state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment and surgical techniques to create customised treatment concepts for each patient. Besides the technical expertise, the holistic view of a human being plays an important role at the Lucerne urology department.
The St Anna Urology practice with the team of Dr Frédéric Birkhäuser and Dr Pascal Zehnder provide the entire basic urological care for men and women. In addition, they specialize mainly in uro-oncology (cancer of the urogenital tract), surgical and reconstructive (restorative) urology, minimally invasive surgery (Da Vinci surgical robot) as well as andrology ("study of the male reproductive system"). In May 2018, the St Anna Urology has been awarded as an ISO-certified urology centre and as an ISO-certified practice for its quality management.
Collaboration with the Canton Hospital Hirslanden Clinic St Anna
The St Anna Urology private practice was established on January 1st, 2015 by the experienced urologist team after many years of work in academic institutions at home and abroad. In addition to their activities at the urological practice, Dr. Birkhäuser and Dr. Zehnder are also affiliated physicians at the adjacent Hirslanden Clinic St. Anna, where they perform surgery and therapy. The direct local access to the St Anna Clinic allows for patient-oriented, integrative and interdisciplinary across all medical disciplines.
State-of-the-art Technologies and the Highest Professional Competence
The urological clinic is characterized by a combination of many years of medical experience and latest, state-of-the-art medical technology. In January 2015, the first patient in Switzerland to be operated on with the latest model of the "Da Vinci Xi" surgical robot was at the Hirslanden Clinic St. Anna. This robot can be used in many areas of surgical urology, such as prostate, kidney, bladder, ureter and adrenal glands. In June 2015, the spectrum of medical technology at the St Anna Clinic was expanded to include a Modulith-SLX F2 lithotripter from Storz. Stone fragmentation treatments (ESWL - extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, e.g. ureteral calculus or kidney stones) can thus be performed via shock waves without invasive surgery from outside the body. With over 25,000 treatments, Rolf Schutz, the stone technician who accompanies the treatment, is one of the most experienced in his field worldwide.
Treatment Emphases of St Anna Urology in Lucerne
St Anna Urology in Lucerne covers the entire range of urological treatments for men and women. For complex diseases and tumours, Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder work hand in hand and are in constant exchange of information. This allows patients to benefit from the expertise of two specialists at the same time. The experts of the urology clinic in Lucerne pay special attention to the following areas of specialisation:
- Uro-oncological diseases
- Surgical urological treatments
- Procedures using the Da Vinci surgical robot
- Stone treatment
- Incontinence treatment for men
- Vasectomy and vasovasostomy
The field of uro-oncology combines the diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care of patients with cancers of the urogenital tract including bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer and testicular cancer. The range of treatments consists of both surgical and conservative (non-surgical) treatment methods. During the care of these patients, interdisciplinary cooperation between different disciplines is of great importance (including urologists, medical cancerologists (oncologists), radiation specialists (radiation oncologists), x-ray specialists (radiologists) and doctors of internal medicine/internists). Every week, Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder discuss their cases across departments with the specialists of the St Anna Clinic. Jointly, they develop suitable treatment strategies. Every expert contributes his point of view as to whether it is a disease of the kidneys, the urinary tract or the genitals. Thanks to their many years of experience and the good interaction with the doctors of the Hirslanden Clinic St Anna, Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder can provide patients with optimal advice and treatment.
In the field of surgical urology, there are nowadays numerous possibilities to treat patients. Urologists predominantly use open surgical techniques such as laparoscopic (keyhole surgery), Da Vinci robot-assisted, microsurgical (with the assistance of a light microscope) and endo-urological procedures. The two specialists Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder specialize in complex surgical procedures. Tumour surgery procedures for cancers of the bladder, prostate and kidney belong to their areas of expertise. Reconstructions of the urinary tract, such as the creation of urinary diversions (e.g., a replacement bladder or a stoma) or the correction of disruptions to urinary flow, are also part of their surgical repertoire. With all these sophisticated surgical techniques, focus is placed on the most appropriate treatment method for each patient instead on technical feasibility. The decision for or against a particular surgical procedure is always based on the individual requirements and the respective benefit for the patient.
Incontinence Treatment for Men
If a man suffers from severe urinary incontinence, conservative treatment alone is usually ineffective. Men are particularly often affected by a malfunction of the urethral sphincter after a comprehensive prostatectomy. The operative treatment is coordinated with the patient after individual consultation.
Thanks to state-of-the-art medical technology, the patient is spared surgical removal of stones in bladder, ureter or kidneys. Using the method of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), stones can be destroyed by means of external disintegration using shock waves at the St Anna Clinic.
Andrology is a branch of urology dedicated to the most diverse problems of male sexuality, sexual health, reproductive functioning of men and aging men. In “Men’s studies”, a man’s hormone status is examined, among other things. Disorders of testosterone balance can lead to a variety of symptoms, such as loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, infertility or disorders of bone metabolism. In close cooperation with the fertility centre at the St Anna Clinic, the specialists Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder offer latest microsurgical techniques to treat male infertility, including refertilisation surgeries after ligation (vasovasostomy) or microsurgical testicular sperm extraction (micro TESE).
Vasectomy and Vasovasostomy
Once family planning has been completed, more and more men are opting for sterilisation (vasectomy). In this procedure, the specialist cuts through the man's spermatic duct. Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder perform vasectomies using the extremely gentle ‘no-scalpel’ method. This bloodless minor insicion is performed without a scalpel by spreading the skin. With a so-called vasovasostomy, the sterilisation can reversed under certain conditions.
St Anna Urology Lucerne – Customised Treatment Concepts
Dr Birkhäuser and Dr Zehnder have committed themselves to patient-oriented treatment approaches tailored to individual circumstances. They provide patients with the best prerequisites for comprehensive diagnostics and targeted therapy of their urological disease.
PD Dr. Frédéric Birkhäuser
|1993 – 1999||Study of human medicine at the University of Basel and at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris)|
|2001 - 2004||Surgical and medical basic training at the St. Clara Hospital in Basel and Kantonsspital [Cantonal Hospital] of Aarau|
|2004-2010||Urology training at the University Hospital of Bern, as a senior physician since 2009|
|2010 - 2012||Research at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), regarding immune oncology|
|2012 - 2014||Senior physician at the urological University Hospital of Bern|
|Since 2015||Joint partner of the Urology St. Anna practice and attending physician at the Hirslanden St. Anna Hospital|
PD Dr. Pascal Zehnder
|1995 - 2001||Study of human medicine, University of Fribourg and Bern|
|2002 - 2004||Basic surgical training at the Lucerne Cantonal Hospital Sursee (LUKS Sursee)|
|2004 - 2009||Urology training at the University Hospital of Bern, as a senior physician since 2009|
|2010||Research at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles (USC), on robotic surgery and bladder cancer|
|2011 – 2014||Senior physician at the urological University Hospital of Bern|
|Since 2015||Joint partner of the Urology St. Anna practice and attending physician at the Hirslanden St. Anna Hospital|
Dr Philipp Huber
|2003 – 2009||Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bern|
|2010 – 2012||Basic surgical training at Thun District Hospital, Switzerland|
|2012 – 2016||Urological training/further training at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern, Switzerland|
|2017||Research period (diagnosis and focal therapy of prostate cancer) at University College Hospital London and Imperial College London, UK|
|2018||Senior Physician at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern, Switzerland|
|Since 2019||St Anna Urology Practice and external affiliated physician at the St Anna Clinic, Lucerne, Switzerland|
Dr Felix Moltzahn
|1999 – 2004||Study of Human Medicine at the Rhineland-Westphalian Technical College in Aachen, Germany|
|2004 – 2008||Urological training/further training at the Urological University Clinic in Dusseldorf, Germany|
|2008 – 2010||Research period (prostate cancer) at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)|
|2010 – 2014||Urological training/further training at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern, Switzerland|
|2014 – 2015||Bernese Visceral Surgery, Hirslanden Clinic Beau Site in Bern (Prof. Dr Z`Graggen)|
|2015 – 2017||Senior Physician at the Urological University Clinic of the Inselspital Bern|
|Since Oct 2017||St Anna Urology Practice and external affiliated physician at the St Anna Clinic, Lucerne, Switzerland|
- PD Dr Frédéric Birkhäuser
- PD Dr Pascal Zehnder
- Dr Philipp Huber
Specialist in Urology
- Dr Felix Moltzahn
Specialist in Urology, FMH
- The practice Urology St. Anna is entirely wheelchair accessible
- PD Dr. Birkhäuser is fluent in German, French, English and Italian
- PD Dr. Zehnder knows the languages German, French and English
|Lucerne train station||2,3 km|
|Zurich Airport||63 km|
|Bern-Belp Airport||126 km|
Information About LuzernMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Fischer Limousine AG is an independent Swiss company. The company, based in Kloten near Zurich Airport, is a family-owned and run business. The services are aimed at patients, clinics, hospitals and private individuals for safe and comfortable care.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.