Spezialist for Diabetology: Prof. Dr Christian Berg
- Diagnosis, adjustment and readjustment of diabetes mellitus.
- Adjustment to glucose sensors and continuous glucose monitoring
- Therapy of diabetic foot syndrome and cardiovascular problems
- Clarification of endocrinological hormone and metabolic disorders
- Insulin pump treatment
- Recurrent hypoglycemia / disturbed hypoglycemia perception
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Diabetes diagnostics
- Diagnosis of diabetes-related diseases of the cardiovascular system
- Continuous blood glucose monitoring using CGM
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Initial treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Therapy optimization and readjustment
- Measures against recurrent hypoglycemia
- Elimination of severe insulin resistance with drug-assisted weight reduction
- Normalization in case of diabetes mellitus that is out of control
- Help with insulin pump settings
- Psychological help with motivation or acceptance problems
- Vascular and wound treatment for diabetic foot syndrome
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Kidney damage requiring dialysis
- Diabetes mellitus plus concomitant diseases
About Prof. Dr Christian Berg
Prof. Christian Berg, MD, is a specialist in diabetology and head physician of the clinic for angiology, diabetology, and endocrinology at the Evangelical Hospital Mettmann.
The diabetes clinic, under the direction of Prof. Berg, offers diabetes therapy at the highest medical level and, according to the latest medical knowledge, helps each patient accept and manage diabetes.
State-of-the-Art in Diabetes Therapy - The Patient is the Focus
Professor Christian Berg has many years of experience in dealing with diabetes. He wants to encourage his patients to be the best therapist for themselves. Special attention is paid to the individual therapy wishes of those affected, which an experienced diabetes specialist asks about in a consultation to develop a unique treatment concept together.
Current diabetes therapy does not focus on the disease itself but on the patient and, in particular, on how they deal with the disease. This is because the patient's behavior is of the utmost importance in successfully coping with this metabolic disorder. For this reason, Prof. Berg and his team see it as their primary goal to explain the pathological processes plausible and practical, to make the patients experts on their disease. Then, with a sufficient understanding of the metabolic processes, patients can adopt health-promoting behaviors to reduce complications and late complications.
Diabetologists often hear from their patients that knowledge of their sugar metabolism makes it easier to manage their disease, enabling them to make healthier choices in everyday life.
New Medications: Diabetes Adjustment in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
In the case of recently diagnosed type 1 or type 2 diabetes, inpatient admission is often advisable to adjust the blood glucose level that has gotten out of control with insulin. This allows prompt response to hypoglycemia in an emergency, and correct handling can be trained. After deciding on the ideal therapy mode based on the needs and activities of most adolescent patients, Prof. Berg and his team enable their patients to independently carry out the optimal insulin therapy during their inpatient stay.
Latest Technology: Glucose Sensors and Insulin Pump Settings
Together with the therapeutic team, Prof. Berg makes groundbreaking decisions with his patients, such as using an insulin pump. The focus of this form of therapy is on type 1 diabetics, but also type 2 diabetics. Even for the sometimes-complicated adjustment of these medical devices, inpatient admission is usually advised to ensure patient safety. The use of the pumps is intensively trained during the hospital stay. This includes handling technical problems, dose calculation, and pump breaks during sports.
New Drug-Assisted Weight Reduction and Severe Insulin Resistance
In the case of severe insulin resistance, usually in the context of a metabolic syndrome, blood glucose levels cannot be adequately controlled even by high insulin doses (more than 100 I.U. per day). Therefore, before a metabolic situation that is out of control threatens, an inpatient adjustment of the therapy concept is recommended. During the hospital stay, diabetes specialists offer their patients the option of participating in a so-called oat diet. In various studies, the need for insulin could be significantly reduced by increasing the proportion of oats in the diet. In addition, we offer medicinal aids for weight reduction, also for the longer-term outpatient course.
Acute Diabetic Foot
When suffering from diabetes, any acute foot problem is a difficult situation. Due to progressive sensory disturbances, load-related inflammation of the joints and bones often goes unnoticed, and wound healing issues frequently occur due to reduced blood flow to the tissues. As a result, the foot skeleton becomes unstable and collapses. Bizarre deformities of the foot develop, leading to extensive pressure damage and infection of the skin until amputation seems inevitable. Only early intervention can prevent such fatal complications.
Complex Metabolic Management in Desired Children/Pregnancy
Particularly in high-risk pregnancies after the age of 35, miscarriages, and in cases of unfulfilled desire to have children, metabolic situations that are out of control are frequently the center of the problem. In many cases, mother and child can be helped by clarifying and effectively treating these inhibitions.
|Current Occupation||Medical Director / Head Physician / Senior Consultant|
|2017||Medical Director of the Evangelical Hospital Mettmann, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Essen|
|Since 2013||Academic Teacher and Supervisor of Ph.D. thesis / Dr med. thesis|
|2013||Head Physician of the Evangelical Hospital Mettmann, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Essen, Department of Internal Medicine|
|2013||Habilitation and Venia legendi|
|2013||Medical specialist exam / Consultant in Internal Medicine and Angiology at the University Clinic of Duisburg-Essen, NRW, Germany|
|2012||Senior Consultant in Internal Medicine at the University Clinic of Duisburg-Essen, NRW, Germany|
|2010||Medical specialist exam / Consultant in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology and Diabetology at the University Clinic of Duisburg-Essen, NRW, Germany|
|2005–2010||Intern at the University Clinic of Duisburg-Essen, NRW, Germany|
|2004–2005||Research Fellow in Manchester, UK, Christie Hospital|
|2004||Medical thesis "Dr med."|
|2003–2004||Doctor in an internship at the University Clinic of Essen|
- Dr Hassan Bouklloua
- Dr Pia Schmidt
- Dr Georgios Bazzazo
- The Evangelical Hospital Mettmann wants to make the outpatient and inpatient stay as pleasant as possible for patients and attaches great importance to a friendly and personal atmosphere.
- Patients are welcome to ask their questions in advance of their stay.
- The staff at the main office help patients with directions so that they can get to the attending physician quickly.
- The "Brasserie 904" restaurant is located on the first floor, where patients can enjoy a variety of meals and drinks as well as small snacks.
- The patient rooms are bright and friendly and equipped with telephones and television. Internet access can be booked optionally for a fee.
- The elective rooms are equipped with hotel comfort, and the patients have, among others, a bathroom, a seating area, and a spacious closet at their disposal. The DSL connection is already included.
- On ward 4E, in the new building, are eleven modern single and five double rooms. The spacious bathroom has a towel radiator, hairdryer, and cosmetic mirror. The generously equipped rooms have an LCD television, radio, telephone, Internet, refrigerator, safe, and sitting area.
- On ward 3E, there are single and double rooms, which are just as comfortably furnished, including a bathroom with a hairdryer and towels, a T.V., a radio, a safe, and a mini-bar.
- Both wards are additionally equipped with a modern lounge area with beverages and snacks.
|Mettmann Center Train Station||1.6 km|
|Düsseldorf Airport||22 km|
Information About Mettmann
Mettmann is the county seat of the district of Mettmann in the North Rhine-Westphalian administrative district of Düsseldorf. The city is located in the Niederbergisches Land and looks back on a history of more than 1100 years. The district town has a lot to offer: Bergisches Fachwerk, modern architecture, traditional crafts, ultra-modern industry, the historical upper city, and the world-famous Neandertal. But it's also the people who make Mettmann so lovable. Locals and tourists will find the right offer for every taste there, whether hiking or cycling, visiting museums, or theater festivals.
Benefits Programme on Site
The Excelsior Hotel Ernst is one of the last privately owned luxury hotels in the world. Family-owned since 1863, the 5 star luxury hotel fascinates guests from around the world. As the only member of the Leading Hotels of the World in Cologne, the Excelsior Hotel Ernst combines stylish tradition with modernity.
At the beginning of Düsseldorf's wonderful Königsallee awaits the Steigenberger Parkhotel. This elegant hotel is one of the best hotels in Düsseldorf. For more than 114 years, it has stood for modern tradition, cordial hospitality, and wonderful dining experiences.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Guests from all over the world associate the Steigenberger Grandhotel Petersberg with fascinating history, spacious architecture and a unique view of the beautiful Rhine River Valley. Guests will encounter a luxurious hotel with culinary offerings of great versatility and exclusivity.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Experience Essen's most beautiful side. Centrally located yet close to nature, the Sheraton Essen Hotel offers you modern rooms and suites, all overlooking the city or the idyllic city park.
Steigenberger Hotel Cologne is located in the heart of Cologne just a few minutes from historical sites. The famous cathedral and the Rhine Promenade is a mere 20 minute walk. Other attractions can be easily reached via metro or bus. The Rudolfplatz is located directly next to the hotel.