Information about Univ-Prof Dr Dr K. Rainer Kimmig
- Computer-assisted, robotic minimally invasive surgery, above all for malignant diseases
- Endometrial cancer (cancer of the uterine cavity)
- Cervical cancer (cancer of the cervix)
- Ovarian cancer (cancer of the ovaries)
- Vulvar cancer (cancer of the vulva)
- Benign and malignant diseases of the breast (e.g. breast cancer)
- Augmentation/reduction plastic surgery
- Incontinence and pelvic floor weakness
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the breast by means of tumour and cosmetic surgical procedures (augmentation/reduction plastic surgery, reconstructive operations)
- Minimally invasive surgery (keyhole technique) for a gentle treatment of both benign and malignant diseases of the uterus or ovaries
- Radical and organ-retaining tumour surgery for malignant tumours in the area of the uterus, ovaries, vagina and vulva (inguinal, pelvic, para-aortal lymphadenectomy, exenterations)
- Reconstructive surgery for fallopian tube patency after sterilisation
- Paediatric gynaecological operations
- Aesthetic operations in the genital area
- Operations to conserve fertility because of treatments which are toxic to the ovaries (e.g. chemotherapy)
- Drug-based tumour therapy
- Gentle c-section (following the Misgav-Ladach approach)
- Urogynaecology: Pelvic floor weakness (e.g. uterine prolapse), urinary incontinence (urge incontinence, stress incontinence, and overflow incontinence)
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Specialist diagnostics for breast tumours using mammography (tomography), MRI and high frequency sonography
- Specialist diagnostics for gynaecological tumours using high frequency sonography, colour-coded Doppler sonography, PET-MR and PET-CT scanning techniques
- Detection and characterization of circulating tumour cells in peripheral blood and bone marrow blood due to breast cancer and gynaecological tumours
- Special consultations for breech presentation and preference for vaginal delivery
- Special consultations for twin pregnancies and preference for vaginal delivery
- Early detection of pre-eclampsia through the determination of sFlt-PLGF quotients
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. med. Rainer Kimmig is a specialist in surgical gynaecology and gynaecological oncology, and minimally invasive surgery (MIC - da Vinci and traditional techniques) and computer-assisted precision surgery (robotic surgery). He is also Head of the Clinic for Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the University Hospital Essen.
Both in the field of the early detection of malignant tumours of the female body and in the treatment of patients, Professor Kimmig places great emphasis on providing an individually-tailored and gentle treatment for his patients while at the same time taking radical action against cancer.
In order to be able to provide his patients with the most targeted treatment possible from the outset, Professor Kimmig offers special consultations.
Endometrial cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, vaginal and vulvar cancers are treated in the Gynaecological Cancer Centre of the Gynaecology Clinic. In particular, the specialist surgical treatment of endometrial and ovarian cancers carried out here enjoys an international reputation.
In the Breast Centre of the Gynaecology Clinic, breast cancer diagnosis and therapy are carried out under the guiding principle of providing the highest possible chance of recovery and the best possible cosmetic effect of the operation with a high proportion of breast-conserving operations taking place. Reconstructive surgery is also a key focus of the Breast Centre.
Through the close connection of vast practical experience of the physicians in the surgical and medical treatment of cancers with the latest research results, Prof. Kimmig and his team are always able to provide their patients with the most modern treatment. In parallel with clinical treatment, a specially established scientific team is researching the improvement of diagnostic procedures and drug-based therapies, and Prof. Kimmig himself is conducting research into the optimization of surgical treatment. His goal is to be able to remove tumours ever more safely while causing ever less stress. In just under the three decades of his career in gynaecology, Prof. Kimmig has been able to gain enormous experience in the more than 20,000 operations which he has carried out personally, and he has been able to further develop the best and gentlest techniques. Thus, in 2014 he was also the first gynaecologist in Europe who was able to conduct an operation using the latest "da Vinci Xi" technology.
In order to help patients to participate in trials, and therefore to have the opportunity to receive new and possibly better drugs than those available in standard treatments, a study centre has been set up in Essen's University Gynaecology Clinic and, in particular, numerous trials are offered to patients with breast and ovarian cancers. Already in 2002 the "Leading Center for Ovarian Cancer - Essen" of the Leading Study Group of the AGO (Gynaecological Cancer Working Group) was set up, the management of which was taken over by Prof. Kimmig.
A precise knowledge of cancer is necessary for successful treatment, the risks and benefits must be weighed up in order to provide a patient with a personalized and thus the best possible treatment.
Professor Kimmig's research work also extends amongst other things to clinical trials on the specific treatment of tumours and to studies on the long-term survival of gynaecological cancer patients.
The objective of modern therapeutic procedures is the radical removal of the tumour combined with the gentlest treatment possible of the healthy body. For this reason, the key therapeutic areas for Professor Kimmig's team include a minimally invasive surgical procedure (keyhole surgery) for a gentle treatment of both benign and malignant diseases. Professor Kimmig and his team thus also use computer-assisted and robotic minimally invasive surgery and the most up-to-date equipment in this area. Since 2014 the clinic has also had the world's most advanced robot for operations – the "da Vinci XI" surgical system. Professor Kimmig led Europe's first gynaecological operation using the "da Vinci" system and by doing so established a new quality standard in treatment. With the successful application of this system, extensive operations can also be carried out, such as radical operations for cancer diseases with the removal of lymph nodes and also simpler ones such as hysterectomies, which can be carried out in a gentler, lower risk, faster and more precise way for patients.
As a Member of the Council and Vice President of the ESGO (European Society of Gynecological Oncology), Prof. Kimmig helped to develop the Gynaecological Cancer Center to the European Standard and saw it achieve certification as early as 2008 (ESGO); furthermore, as a consequence of his leadership the Center was distinguished by the award of the OnkoZert of the German Cancer Society (DKG) for its outstanding performance in the treatment of cancers of the female body.
Visit the Website of Prof. Kimmig here
|1978 – 1984||Studies in human medicine at the Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich|
|1986||Docorate awarded "summa cum laude"|
|1991||Specialist examination with qualification as a gynaecologist and obstetrician|
|1991 – 1998||Consultant - Clinic and Polyclinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the University of Munich - Großhadern|
|1998 – 2001||Chief Consultant - Clinic and Polyclinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the University of Munich, Großhadern|
|1994 – 2001||Head of the Training Center of the Gynaecologic Endoscopy Working Group of the German Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics at the Clinic and Polyclinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the University of Munich, Großhadern|
|1999||Post-doctoral qualification and nomination as "Private Lecturer" at the Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich (LMU)|
|2000||Appointed to the Chair of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the Ruhr-University Bochum|
|Since 2001||Professor for Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Chair of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the Medical Faculty of the University of Essen|
|2001 – today||Director of the Clinic and Polyclinic for Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the University of Essen|
|Since 2002||Establishment and direction of the "Leading Center for Ovarian Cancer - Essen" of the Leading Group on Ovarian Cancer of the Gynaecological Cancer Working Group (AGO) of the German Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DGGG)|
|2003||Medical Director of the Uni-Breast Center Essen|
|2006||Congress President of the German Congress of the German Continence Society|
|2008||Head of the Gynaecological Cancer Centre Essen, German Cancer Society (DKG)|
|Head of “European Centre of Gynaecological Oncology Essen” European Society of Gynaecological Oncology (ESGO)|
|2009||Section Leader for Gynaecological Oncology of the "Comprehensive Cancer Center Essen" sponsored by German Cancer Aid|
|Appointed to the "Council" of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO) as the representative for "Central Europe"|
|2009||Appointed Congress President 2011 of the German Academy for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DAGG)|
|2009-2013||Member of the "Council" of the European Society of Gynecological Oncology as the representative for "Central Europe" (ESGO) and Head of Educational Committee 2011-2013|
|Since 2010||Establishment and management of the "Epicenter Germany" for "Robotic Surgery" in Gynaecology (ISInc.), da Vinci SI System®|
|2011||ESGO Council 2011-2013 – Head of Educational Committee, Congress President of the German Academy for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DAGG) in Berlin|
|2012||Appointed to the "Society of Pelvic Surgeons", USA.|
|2012||Founding member of the “European Institute of Gynecological Oncology” (U.Veronesi, M. Rezai, P. Mallmann, R. Kimmig)|
|2012||“Honorary Director” of the Breast Center, University of Nanjing, PR China (Project initiated by the German Federal Ministry of Health and the People's Republic of China)|
|2012||Appointed to the NRW State Group for Quality Assurance in Medicine (BQS) for Gynaecology|
|2013-2016||Visiting professor to the University of Nanjjing (PR China)|
|2013||"Vice President" of the European Society of Gynecological Oncology (ESGO) (2013- 2015)|
|2013||Member of the Council of the Society of European Robotic Gynaecological Surgery (SERGS)|
|2013||Delegation to the S3 Guideline Committee on the Prevention of Cervical Cancer of the German Cancer Society (DKG)|
|2013||Delegation to the Federal Working Group on Gynaecology for Cross-Sector Quality in Health Care Services (SQG) – Aqua Institute, Göttingen|
|2014||Congress President of the European Congress for Robotic Gynaecological Surgery (SERGS 6th) in Essen - 22.-24.5.2014|
|2014||First gynaecological operation using the da Vinci Xi® system in Europe|
|2015||Delegation to the S3 Guideline Committee on "Diagnostic Procedures and Therapy of Endometrial Cancer" of the German Cancer Society (DKG)|
|2015||Election as "General Secretary/Treasurer" of the SERGS (Society of European Robotic Gynecological Surgery)|
PD Dr. med. Bahriye Aktas
Deputy Clinic Director, Senior Physician
Focus areas: Medical and surgical oncology
PD Dr. med. Angela Köninger
Focus areas: Obstetrics and perinatal medicine
Dr. med. Oliver Hoffmann
Focus areas: Plastic-reconstructive surgery, sonography of mammary glands, sonography of the vessels of the female genital system
PD Dr. med. Martin Heubner
Senior Physician, specialist in gynaecology and obstetrics
Focus areas: Gynaecological oncology and MIC (LSC and "robotic surgery")
- West German Centre for Robotic (da-Vinci) Surgery (all indications/operations for benign and malignant diseases)
- Special consultations
- Senology clinic
- Plastic and reconstructive breast clinic
- Genetic counselling for familial breast and ovarian cancer
- Aesthetic operations in the genital area
- Habitual abortion clinic
- Fertility clinic
- Counselling service as part of the Fertiprotekt network (measures to protect fertility before chemo- or radiotherapy)
- Clinic for fertility post reconstruction of fallopian tube patency,
including fallopian tube patency testing.
- Gynaecological oncology
- Special surgical gynaecology/minimally invasive surgery/robotic surgery
- Continence and uterine prolapse clinic
- Dysplasia (prevention for uterus and vulva)
- Endometriosis clinic
- Myoma clinic
- Paediatric and adolescent gynaecology
- Hairdressing salon (for both men and women)
- Interpreter available 24/7
- Room with telephone, TV, internet and radio
- Delivery room with Feng Shui bath
- "Green Lady" patient support volunteers to assist with errands
- The latest technical equipment in the MIC field (e.g. daVinci® Xi system)
|Essen Central Station||2,5 km|
|Mühlheim Central Station||9 km|
|Essen/Mühlheim Airport||7 km|
|Düsseldorf Airport||27 km|
|Dortmund Airport||48 km|
Information about EssenMORE
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Excelsior Hotel Ernst Köln
The Excelsior Hotel Ernst is one of the last privately owned luxury hotels in the world. Family-owned since 1863, the 5 star luxury hotel fascinates guests from around the world. As the only member of the Leading Hotels of the World in Cologne, the Excelsior Hotel Ernst combines stylish tradition with modernity.
Lufthansa Mobility Partner
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and brussels airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
Steigenberger Hotel Cologne
Steigenberger Hotel Cologne is located in the heart of Cologne just a few minutes from historical sites. The famous cathedral and the Rhine Promenade is a mere 20 minute walk. Other attractions can be easily reached via metro or bus. The Rudolfplatz is located directly next to the hotel.
Univ-Prof Dr Dr K. Rainer Kimmig
University Hospital Essen
Clinic for Obstetrics and Gynecology
Hufelandstraße 55, D-45147 Essen
Private consultation hours:
Mondays: 10:00 - 12:00
Wednesdays: 11:00 - 14:00 Uhr
appointments can be made by telephone