Gynecologic Oncology & Breast Cancer Essen, Germany
- Uterine fibroids and prolapse
- Computer-assisted, robotic minimally invasive surgery, above all for malignant diseases
- Endometrial cancer (cancer of the uterine cavity)
- Cervical cancer (cancer of the cervix)
- Ovarian cancer (cancer of the ovaries)
- Vulvar cancer (cancer of the vulva)
- Benign and malignant diseases of the breast (e.g. breast cancer)
- Augmentation/reduction plastic surgery
- Incontinence and pelvic floor weakness
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the breast by means of tumour and cosmetic surgical procedures (augmentation/reduction plastic surgery, reconstructive operations)
- Minimally invasive surgery (keyhole technique) for a gentle treatment of both benign and malignant diseases of the uterus or ovaries
- Radical and organ-retaining tumour surgery for malignant tumours in the area of uterus, ovaries, vagina and vulva (inguinal, pelvic, para-aortal lymphadenectomy, exenterations)
- Reconstructive surgery for fallopian tube patency after sterilisation
- Paediatric gynaecological operations
- Aesthetic operations in the genital area
- Operations to conserve fertility because of treatments which are toxic to the ovaries (e.g. chemotherapy)
- Drug-based tumour therapy
- Gentle c-section (following the Misgav-Ladach approach)
- Urogynaecology: Pelvic floor weakness (e.g. uterine prolapse), urinary incontinence (urge incontinence, stress incontinence, and overflow incontinence)
Range of Diagnostic Services
- Specialist diagnostics for breast tumours using mammography (tomography), MRI and high frequency sonography
- Specialist diagnostics for gynaecological tumours using high frequency sonography, colour-coded Doppler sonography, PET-MR and PET-CT scanning techniques
- Detection and characterization of circulating tumour cells in peripheral blood and bone marrow blood due to breast cancer and gynaecological tumours
- Special consultations for breech presentation and preference for vaginal delivery
- Special consultations for twin pregnancies and preference for vaginal delivery
- Early detection of pre-eclampsia through the determination of sFlt-PLGF quotients
About Univ-Prof Dr Dr K. Rainer Kimmig
Gynecologist Univ-Prof Dr Dr K. Rainer Kimmig is a specialist in women's cancer. This includes specialization in operative gynaecology and gynaecological oncology as well as minimally invasive surgery (MIC – da Vinci and classic) and computer-assisted precision surgery (robotic surgery). He is head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University Hospital in Essen.
Individual GynecologicTreatments and Gentle Procedures
Prof. Kimmig places great importance on a gentle yet effective treatment tailored to his patients' needs, both in the early detection of malignant tumours as well as in the treatment of patients. An accurate knowledge of cancer diseases is necessary in order to weigh the risks and benefits and provide the best-possible treatment.
More than 20,000 Independently Performed Operations and Innovative Development of Surgical Procedures
By personally performing over 20,000 operations, Prof. Kimmig has gained considerable experience. He developed the best and most gentle cancer healing techniques. In 2014, he was the first gynecologist in Europe to carry out an operation with the latest "da Vinci Xi" technology.
He thus sets new quality treatment standards. With the successful application of his methods, radical surgeries such as lymph node removal or slight surgical interventions like hysterectomy (uterine removal) can be carried out more gently and quickly with less risk and more precision.
Prof. Kimmig and His Team Offer the Following Treatment Specializations:
Gynecological Oncology at the Gynaecological Cancer Centre in Essen:
- Uterine cancer (cervical and endometrial carcinoma)
- Ovarian cancer
- Vulvar and vaginal carcinoma
- Nerve-conserving radical operations
- Fertility-preserving operations
- Recurrent operations
Urogynaecology (pelvic prolapse):
- Uterine prolapse
- Vaginal prolapse
- Bladder prolapse
- Urine leakage
- Modern banding techniques
- Minimally invasive procedures
Operative and Minimally Invasive Gynaecology:
- Myomectomy with uterine contents
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Ovarian diseases
- Cervical cancer
- "Robotic surgery"
Breast Cancer at the Breast Cancer Centre in Essen:
- Cosmetic, breast preserving operations
- Radiation-free sentinel lymph node extraction (no radioactivity)
- Intra-operative radiotherapy
- Modern diagnostics to avoid chemotherapy
Practical Experience and Exploration of New Gynaecological Treatment Methods
Concurrent with clinical treatment, the established scientific team works towards improving diagnostics and drug therapy. Prof. Kimmig is personally committed to optimising surgical therapies. He strives to safely remove tumours with increasingly less strain.
A study center was set up at the University Hospital in Essen to enable patients to participate in studies, thereby giving them the opportunity to receive new and possibly better medicines. Numerous studies are offered to patients with breast cancer and ovarian cancer. In 2002, the "Study Centre for Ovarian Carcinoma - Essen" was set up by Dr Kimming's work group for gynecological oncology for which he was in charge of.
Professor Kimmig's research also includes clinical studies on specific tumor treatments as well as long-term survival approaches after gynaecological cancer therapy.
Certifications and Excellence in the Treatment of Cancer in Women
As a council member and vice president of ESGO (European Society of Gynaecological Oncology), Prof. Kimmig developed the gynaecological cancer centre according to European standards and received certification in 2008 (ESGO). In addition, the centre was awarded the "OnkoZert" award of the German Cancer Society for excellence in the treatment of female cancer.
|1978 – 1984
|Studies in human medicine at the Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich
|Docorate awarded "summa cum laude"
|Specialist examination with qualification as a gynaecologist and obstetrician
|1991 – 1998
|Consultant - Clinic and Polyclinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the University of Munich - Großhadern
|1998 – 2001
|Chief Consultant - Clinic and Polyclinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the University of Munich, Großhadern
|1994 – 2001
|Head of the Training Center of the Gynaecologic Endoscopy Working Group of the German Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics at the Clinic and Polyclinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the University of Munich, Großhadern
|Post-doctoral qualification and nomination as "Private Lecturer" at the Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich (LMU)
|Appointed to the Chair of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the Ruhr-University Bochum
|Professor for Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Chair of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of the Medical Faculty of the University of Essen
|2001 – today
|Director of the Clinic and Polyclinic for Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the University of Essen
|Establishment and direction of the "Leading Center for Ovarian Cancer - Essen" of the Leading Group on Ovarian Cancer of the Gynaecological Cancer Working Group (AGO) of the German Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DGGG)
|Medical Director of the Uni-Breast Center Essen
|Congress President of the German Congress of the German Continence Society
|Head of the Gynaecological Cancer Centre Essen, German Cancer Society (DKG)
|Head of “European Centre of Gynaecological Oncology Essen” European Society of Gynaecological Oncology (ESGO)
|Section Leader for Gynaecological Oncology of the "Comprehensive Cancer Center Essen" sponsored by German Cancer Aid
|Appointed to the "Council" of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO) as the representative for "Central Europe"
|Appointed Congress President 2011 of the German Academy for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DAGG)
|Member of the "Council" of the European Society of Gynecological Oncology as the representative for "Central Europe" (ESGO) and Head of Educational Committee 2011-2013
|Establishment and management of the "Epicenter Germany" for "Robotic Surgery" in Gynaecology (ISInc.), da Vinci SI System®
|ESGO Council 2011-2013 – Head of Educational Committee, Congress President of the German Academy for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DAGG) in Berlin
|Appointed to the "Society of Pelvic Surgeons", USA.
|Founding member of the “European Institute of Gynecological Oncology” (U.Veronesi, M. Rezai, P. Mallmann, R. Kimmig)
|“Honorary Director” of the Breast Center, University of Nanjing, PR China (Project initiated by the German Federal Ministry of Health and the People's Republic of China)
|Appointed to the NRW State Group for Quality Assurance in Medicine (BQS) for Gynaecology
|Visiting professor to the University of Nanjjing (PR China)
|"Vice President" of the European Society of Gynecological Oncology (ESGO) (2013- 2015)
|Member of the Council of the Society of European Robotic Gynaecological Surgery (SERGS)
|Delegation to the S3 Guideline Committee on the Prevention of Cervical Cancer of the German Cancer Society (DKG)
|Delegation to the Federal Working Group on Gynaecology for Cross-Sector Quality in Health Care Services (SQG) – Aqua Institute, Göttingen
|Congress President of the European Congress for Robotic Gynaecological Surgery (SERGS 6th) in Essen - 22.-24.5.2014
|First gynaecological operation using the da Vinci Xi® system in Europe
|Delegation to the S3 Guideline Committee on "Diagnostic Procedures and Therapy of Endometrial Cancer" of the German Cancer Society (DKG)
|Election as "General Secretary/Treasurer" of the SERGS (Society of European Robotic Gynecological Surgery)
|Elected to the council of the "International Gynaecological Cancer Society" (IGCS) as a representative for Europe, Africa and the Middle East
|Chairman of the Lower Rhine-Westphalian Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics, chairman of the "Collegium Gynaecologicum" and "President elect" of SERGS
PD Dr. med. Angela Köninger
Focus areas: Obstetrics and perinatal medicine
Dr. med. Oliver Hoffmann
Focus areas: Plastic-reconstructive surgery, sonography of mammary glands, sonography of the vessels of the female genital system
- West German Centre for Robotic (da-Vinci) Surgery (all indications/operations for benign and malignant diseases)
- Special Consultations
- Senology clinic
- Plastic and reconstructive breast clinic
- Genetic counselling for familial breast and ovarian cancer
- Aesthetic operations in the genital area
- Habitual abortion clinic
- Fertility clinic
- Counselling service as part of the Fertiprotekt network (measures to protect fertility before chemo- or radiotherapy)
- Clinic for fertility post reconstruction of fallopian tube patency,
including fallopian tube patency testing.
- Gynaecological oncology
- Special surgical gynaecology/minimally invasive surgery/robotic surgery
- Continence and uterine prolapse clinic
- Dysplasia (prevention for uterus and vulva)
- Endometriosis clinic
- Myoma clinic
- Paediatric and adolescent gynaecology
- Hairdressing salon (for both men and women)
- Interpreter available 24/7
- Room with telephone, TV, internet and radio
- Delivery room with Feng Shui bath
- "Green Lady" patient support volunteers to assist with errands
- The latest technical equipment in the MIC field (e.g. daVinci® Xi system)
|Essen Central Station
|Mühlheim Central Station
Information About Essen
Essen is a city in the west of Germany, located in the middle of the Ruhr area. The fourth-largest city in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia is considered an important industrial and business location. Essen is located in the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region and was the European Capital of Culture in 2010.
Benefits Programme on Site
The Living Hotel De Medici combines luxury, culture, and recreation at the highest level. It is the perfect retreat for demanding travelers looking for an unforgettable stay in Düsseldorf with its unique art collection, spacious wellness and fitness area, and comfortable rooms.
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
Steigenberger Hotel Cologne is located in the heart of Cologne just a few minutes from historical sites. The famous cathedral and the Rhine Promenade is a mere 20 minute walk. Other attractions can be easily reached via metro or bus. The Rudolfplatz is located directly next to the hotel.
The Excelsior Hotel Ernst is one of the last privately owned luxury hotels in the world. Family-owned since 1863, the 5 star luxury hotel fascinates guests from around the world. As the only member of the Leading Hotels of the World in Cologne, the Excelsior Hotel Ernst combines stylish tradition with modernity.
At the beginning of Düsseldorf's wonderful Königsallee awaits the Steigenberger Parkhotel. This elegant hotel is one of the best hotels in Düsseldorf. For more than 114 years, it has stood for modern tradition, cordial hospitality, and wonderful dining experiences.
Experience Essen's most beautiful side. Centrally located yet close to nature, the Sheraton Essen Hotel offers you modern rooms and suites, all overlooking the city or the idyllic city park.
Univ-Prof Dr Dr K. Rainer Kimmig
University Hospital Essen
Clinic for Obstetrics and Gynecology
Hufelandstraße 55, D-45147 Essen
T: +49 201 7199 90 39
F: +49 201 723 5962
Private consultation hours:
Mondays: 10:00 - 12:00
Wednesdays: 11:00 - 14:00 Uhr
appointments can be made by telephone