Cardiologist in Hamburg Prof. Dr Karsten Sydow
- Coronary heart disease (incl. therapy of acute heart attacks and cardiogenic shocks)
- Chest Pain Unit (CPU)
- Heart valve diseases incl. endocarditis
- Heart failure (incl. consultation (state insurance authorised), specialised heart failure unit (HFU), LVAD (artificial heart) aftercare)
- Pacemaker and defibrillator (ICD) therapy (incl. consultation (state insurance authorised))
- Cardiac contractility modulation
- Cardiac arrhythmias (non-surgical medicinal and electrophysiological treatment of patients with tachycardia arrhythmia, special consultation clinic for cardiac arrhythmias)
Prof. Dr Karsten Sydow specializes in general non-invasive and invasive/interventional cardiology:
Range of Diagnostic Services
- 12-channel ECG, long-term ECG and long-term blood pressure measurement, ergometry
- Echocardiography: transthoracic (TTE), transoesophageal (TEE), stress, contrast and 3D echocardiography
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (cardiac MRI)
- Coronary CT (in close cooperation with radiology)
- Coronary angiography
- Pulmonary function testing
- Sleep apnea testing
- Right heart catheterisation
- Event recorder
- Cardiac pacemaker and defibrillator (ICD) monitoring
- Telemedical monitoring of pacemaker/ICD devices (home monitoring)
- Electrophysiological studies (EP studies) and ablation
Range of Therapeutic Services
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- Balloon dilatation and stent implantation of coronary vessels
- Access is usually via an artery on the wrist, or, in the case of complex interventions, via the groin if necessary
- Measurement of fractional flow reserve (FFR) to instantaneously check the functional relevance of the constriction during cardiac catheterisation
- Complex coronary interventions
- Rotablation (abrading severe calcifications in the coronary artery)
- Re-opening of chronic vascular occlusions (CTO PCI)
- Main stem intervention in readiness for cardiosurgical operations and possibly with backup from a cardiac support system (Impella, ECMO)
- Treatment of acute heart attack
- Interventional therapy of cardiogenic shock with the aid of temporary cardiac support systems (Impella, ECMO)
- Electrical cardioversion
- Sophisticated medicinal treatment of heart failure
- Pacemaker and defibrillator (ICD) implantation and aftercare
- Single-chamber, dual-chamber and triple-chamber/CRT devices
- Interventional closure of the left atrial appendage (LAA occluder)
- Interventional closure in cases of persistent foramen ovale (PFO) and atrial septal defect/aneurysm
- Use of highly potent antiarrhythmic drugs under cardiac monitoring
- Catheter ablation in cases of tachycardia supraventricular and ventricular cardiac arrhythmias
- Cardiological-internal medicine intensive care
- Sports medicine incl. sports fitness examination
- Daily interdisciplinary case conferences with colleagues at the Clinic for Cardiac Surgery for best possible individual therapy decisions
About Prof. Dr Karsten Sydow
The Clinic for Cardiology at the Albertine Cardiovascular Centre offers the entire spectrum of non-surgical and invasive diagnostics, therapy, and aftercare. This coordinated and integrated treatment offering includes care from a single source. The fully equipped cardiological functional area, with ECG, ergometry, spiroergometry, pulmonary function test, echocardiography, pacemaker, and defibrillator (ICD) outpatient clinic, 2 haemodynamic and 2 electrophysiological cardiac catheter stations, as well as state-of-the-art cardiac imaging such as cardiac MRI is managed by a specialized team of nursing staff and doctors. A highly committed crew of physicians and caretakers is also available on the nursing stations, who is equipped with mobile heart monitors to check on their patients.
The certified Chest Pain Unit (CPU) is integrated into the central emergency room and has four monitoring stations and six inpatient beds for continuous monitoring of cardiac rhythm and vital parameters. An experienced team from the CPU, the background duty cardiological senior physicians and the cardiac catheter laboratory is available 24 hours a day for rapid and expert treatment of acute chest pain (heart attack, aortic dissection, pulmonary artery embolism, heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias, etc.).
For the treatment of patients with severe heart failure, the Department of Heart Failure and Device Therapy has established a special focus on patients with heart disease. It has defined an interdisciplinary treatment strategy and transfers data and warning messages from the implanted systems to patient care structures. In addition to special outpatient consultations, for which a health insurance authorization exists, inpatients can be optimally treated in a special care ward unit (Heart Failure Unit, HFU) set up especially for this purpose. In April 2018, this area was also the first "supraregional heart failure centre" in Hamburg to be certified by the German Society of Cardiology (DGK).
Since 2015, the Department of Electrophysiology at the Clinic for Cardiology has most modern and highly complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures available for patients with cardiac arrhythmias. It offers best possible therapy up to date through the interaction of an experienced team of doctors, specially trained nursing staff, and catheter laboratories equipped with latest technology. Already during the mostly prestationary conducted electrophysiological consultation, open questions can be discussed and the most individually suitable therapy procedure can be selected.
Patients receive a direct, friendly, and uncomplicated transferral for consultation with physician colleagues in private practice.
More information is available at the website of Prof. Dr Karsten Sydow.
Department of Cardiology
- Prof. Dr Karsten Sydow
- Associate Prof. Dr Korff Krause
Executive Senior Physician
- Janko Bartholdt
- Peter Brasch
- Matthias Danne
- Dr Mathias Hillebrand
- Dr Mirko Horntrich
- Dr Michael Klusmeier
- Dr Claudia Tiburtius
- Dr Nicola Forbech
- Dr Nikolaus Trautmann
- Julian Witt
Department of Heart Failure and Device Therapy
- Prof. Dr H. Nägele
- Dr Daniel Stierle
Department of Electrophysiology
- Dr Thomas Zerm
- Dr Péter Rausch
|Hamburg Central Railway Station||9 km|
|Hamburg Airport||14 km|
Information About HamburgMORE
Benefits Programme on Site
PRIMO MEDICO is an accredited partner of Lufthansa Health & Medical. Benefit as a member or user of PRIMO MEDICO from special terms that provide you and your travelling companion with discounts on a variety of fares offered by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines.
Ruby Hotels Hamburg - Lean Luxury Design Hotel - Five-star rooms in charming central location of the city for the price of a budget hotel. Small but nice - rooms with best equipment in casual style.
Agent CS creates space so that you can concentrate on your most important tasks - an innovative service agency which uses existing networks in a wide variety of areas to provide you with a solution customised for you.
SIDE Design Hotel is located in the beautiful city centre of Hamburg near the Alster Lake and the downtown shopping malls. It is the first and only five-star designer hotel in the city and provides guests with a full spa service (SIDE Wellness & SPA) as well as meeting and conference rooms - which are equipped with the latest technology and can be adapted to meet various space requirements.
Professional Aviation Solutions is a young, motivated team of experienced aircraft charter experts, which collaborates with only the most reputable airlines.
The Privathotel (privately owned) Lindtner Hamburg is one of the most beautiful outdoor hideaways. Well connected to the city centre and in immediate vicinity of the Asklepios Clinic Harburg, you will find peace and relaxation here. An atmosphere of light-filled, large rooms with a perceptible love of art and details that perfectly complement the stay.
The Hotel Atlantic Kempinski Hamburg was first opened more than 100 years ago as a classic grand hotel for first-class passengers of world-famous luxury liners. The landmarked guesthouse complex is now an emblem of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg and is one of the last grand hotels in a German metropolis. Centrally located between Hamburg's main railway station, Hamburg’s city hall and the Outer Alster River, the "White Castle" hostelry offers perfect stays for sophisticated business travellers and private tourists.
Prof. Dr Karsten Sydow
Cardiology at the Albertinen Cardiovascular Centre
Süntelstrasse 11a, D-22457 Hamburg
Chief Physician Secretariat: